SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon eos 300d for imaging

SionR25

Hi everyone,

Is this camera any good for dso imaging? Most people suggest/use the 350d so was wondering is there something inherently wrong with this camera or is it just not widely used?

Many thanks,

Sion

• 2 weeks later...

the 300d and 350d are very low noise cameras (mainly due to low megapixel, which is fine). I started with a 300d, then 350d, 1000d, 450d. 300d just had amp noise down the side which 350d resolved. But neither had liveview which made focusing a bit more tricky, hence move to one with liveview.

I've tried using a 300D, but found focussing v. difficult as the 300D doesn't have LiveView (and my eyes aren't what they used to be). Unfortunately DSLRFocus isn't supported on Windows7. Does anyone know if there is another, similar 'focussing' tool out there that does a similar thing but which does work on Win7 (and which works with an olde 300D)?

I've tried using a 300D, but found focussing v. difficult as the 300D doesn't have LiveView (and my eyes aren't what they used to be). Unfortunately DSLRFocus isn't supported on Windows7. Does anyone know if there is another, similar 'focussing' tool out there that does a similar thing but which does work on Win7 (and which works with an olde 300D)?

I wouldn't get bothered about live view for focussing. In my experience the moment you add any sort of filter such as a decent LP filter into the imaging train it's next to useless. Try 3 second exposures with a bahtinov mask on :)

I use Backyard EOS with my 350D for focusing, it's very good, you set it up to take snaps on a loop that you use for focusing.

My Canon 350d didn't work with BYE on Windows 7 64-bit though, I had to dual boot with Windows XP.

The only thing I don't like about BYE is it sets your camera to small JPEG's for the snaps and I always forget to set it back to RAW.

there are attachments that fit onto the canon 300D upwards viewfinder.

they tend to be 90 degree 1.5x mag units that allow the viewfinder to be mag'd up higher.

maybe worth a gander over on the bay (ebay).

450D is the liveview model, but saying that the 300/350 are ideal and lower priced enetrys to Dslr. ok maybe old now but they allow you to get to grips with Dslr's and all that comes with them.

myself i have had my 350D now for nearly a year and i am loving every moment.

Archived