Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

When should we post details of Clearence items?

What is the best time of day for you?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best time of day for you?

• 1-3 pm
    • 2-4 pm
    • 3-5 pm
    • Anytime, no preference.
    • Evening

Most retailers inevitably generate open box products and customer-returns that can be offered at discounted prices. In our first 2-3 years we quietly offered clearance items to customers who we felt would benefit most. Today we have grown to become one of the UK's largest astro retailers (it's all relative, there are no 'large' astro retailers in the UK) and have a 30-day returns policy so we routinely generate stock that needs clearing.

As SGL's sponsor we want to offer clearance items here first but when should we post details?

Please let us know your preference :clouds2:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve, surely evening listings and then pm'ing would mean you never have a life outside of work or is that the case already;)

That isn't far off the truth :icon_scratch:

It has become a lot easier since FLO was able to afford staff :clouds2:

If 'Evening' wins I will probably limit it to one evening per week.

Steve

I can't reply to the poll because I'm on my phone but I would prefer random times for posting items, day and night. This would give everyone more of a chance of grabbing a bargain but I do understand you also have a life outside of FLO :clouds2:

Sent from my phone thingie using my fingers

If 'Evening' wins I will probably limit it to one evening per week.

Steve

NO please, not just one day a week, too much to go through, and will give everyone a chance, including us poorly funded.

Also, you should have a life outside work, playing with stock you might sell later, like a skytee-2 hint hint

Steve, just do it how you find the easiest, if we're desperate enough for a nice bargin, we'll find ways of getting an internet connection / email.

At the end of the day, you are a business & the thing is for you to sell these, rather than taking up needed space.

PS - The one thing I would really like, is a warning of the sale. Now I know you wouldn't want to restrict normal business (people waiting for a sale item, rather than a normal stock one).

How about a pre-list (teaser) of what will be coming up, over the week ?? With a strict rule, we can only PM for purchase, once listed live ?

Ok how about only posting mon/tues/wed 9-12 then 3-6 this gives all buyers 6 hits of excitement and give FLO time to organise day to day things and a life in the evening?

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evening to give everyone a fair chance. Posts can be written in advance to save you time in the evening and first responder gets the bargain. Lock the thread so only you can update it. That way it's quicker to browse the offers and see what is still available

Sent from tapatalk

Steve,

I would keep some time for yourself and the staff.

Get the whole lot together, make up a big web page with it all on, ready to go, then post it to your site in one hit. That way, no messing about for weeks on this. Then after that, if you get more, post it to your Clearance section of your website.

No pain for anyone then :clouds2:

Cheers

Ian

I would propose locked thread (to others anyway) and random timings : I fear that the constant refreshing to see new clearance items could favour one or two individuals rather than giving everyone a fair shot?

Just my 2p :clouds2:

I'm about to wish I hadn't written this... :clouds2:

Owners (particularly) of small businesses work hard enough and long enough hours as it is (I know: I am one) without having to do extra stuff at odd times of the day.

Equally, it would be nice if SGL users had a reasonable opportunity to take advantage of these bargains regardless of their work patterns or availability of internet access at specific times of the day.

Were I wishing to do that, I'd probably just write a bit of code that would post the details for me at random intervals throughout the day, but given the relationship between FLO and SGL, perhaps the admins of the site might be able see if it is possible either in the current or new software to arrange for some posts to be created ahead of time and made "live" later at times selected by FLO or just randomly?

James

Think Ian IWatkins makes a good point - build a page with it all on and tell everyone a time that it will go live and first to PM wins. This drip feeding, whilst exciting must be taking up a whole lot of your time?

You won't please everyone, but we need to remember that these are exceptional offers you are putting up - most retailers are listing the 5 SE at around the £700 mark, considerably more than I paid for it, am sure that is teh case with the other kit you are listing.

WEX did a similar thing here http://www.warehouseexpress.com/home/?/astronomy-clearance.html and the kit went very very quickly.

Either way, thanks for what you are doing and the support that FLO are making.

Chris

Just because Evening is an option, doesn't mean you have to do the work in the evening.

I would write the message listing everything either off line in something like notepad. Or on SGL and just unapprove the post... then all you have to do it copy and paste (or approve) the message into SGL.

The PM system will show you the message in the order that they were received - so just go through them the next day (or whenever is convenient) from the bottom up!

Simples.

:icon_scratch:

I don't mind which route you take Steve, but if I could have the list first that would be great!!! :clouds2:

Ant

Let do it at random. It's more fun and it should be more convenient for you.

A couple of pre-dawn listing would make it even more exciting :clouds2:

Just kidding, some of use will suffer from sleep deprivation if you do that.

Do it as you see fit.

We are benefiting enough with the bargains, so you should at least benefit with some time to yourself.

It is also more fun not knowing what's coming next. Just hope theres some left in 2 weeks when i get paid.:clouds2:

Archived