Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Upgrading to the Skywatcher Explorer 130M?

I can buy one of these scopes with imaging equipment and a motor drive so that I can take some photos of DSO's and Planets. I would just like to know if anyone has any good or bad experience's/thoughts with this particular scope.

I have the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ already and it doesn't have a motor drive on it. Will the Skywatcher be a decent upgrade from this?

Thanks guys

Don't bother , the mount is rubbish and totally unsuited for dso imaging and whilst I've done a bit of planet imaging I've given it up until I get a better setup.

Ohh, well I've bought it already ;) I got a few bits with it though; the 3 eyepieces, phillips spc 900 webcam, extension tube & and a UV filter. It's all pretty much brand new. I paid £140

Fair enough. The EQ2 mount really isn't up to the job of imaging with a telescope though, I'm afraid.

James

Will it be good for imaging planets?

Planetary should be fine ;) It's DSO / DSLR you're going to really have problems with.

I do have a DSLR, I just need an adapter for it (which I am going to get) :eek: Or is it not worth me getting one?

I am a little confused to why I wont be able to image DSO's ;) Is it because the mount is wobbly or is it the EQ2?

(I don't know much)

I'd have thought so, too. You may find that it's not incredibly stable when tracking, but that should all come out in the wash anyhow when you're stacking planetary images. AFAIR it doesn't have a polar scope and there's no means to add one so unless you fancy using themos's plate-solving method for alignment you're going to get a fair bit of drift in your captured data anyhow, so a bit more due to the instability of the scope isn't really here nor there.

James

I do have a DSLR, I just need an adapter for it (which I am going to get) :eek: Or is it not worth me getting one?

I am a little confused to why I wont be able to image DSO's ;) Is it because the mount is wobbly or is it the EQ2?

(I don't know much)

For DSO imaging, long exposures are required. That means you need good tracking, which in turn requires accurate polar alignment and that the scope is well within the mount's load-carrying capacity. The EQ2 and 130 combination fails on both counts I'm afraid.

James

You also can't focus a DSLR on a 130P (not enough travel, no replacement focuser) without taking a hacksaw to it ...

A DSLR won't come to focus on a 130 without a barlow either and adding a barlow is definitely not what you want for DSO imaging.

You can fit a proper finder scope and the focusser is better than the Astromaster, but optically I don't expect you will notice much difference.

About the focus, I watched a video on how to get around that

hopefully that'll work for me!

The part where he unscrews the adaptor to move the camera coloser is on a 1.25"/2" Crayford. The 130 (as far as I know) has the 1.25" R&P focuser as shown so he uses a barlow to get the focus. This increases the focal ratio of the scope from f/5 to f/10. This means your exposures will need to be 4x longer to get the same image brightness. Not easy on an EQ2 I am afraid but good luck if you try it.

Edited by RikM

They are about £175 new and are a nice scope for visual use and for having a try at webcam imaging of planets. But if you a really looking for scope that can be used for deep sky astrophotography the minimum that will get you any kind of reasonable result would be something like a 150P on an EQ3-2 with an RA motor drive.

You can get very nice results using just DSLR with a lens mounted on a tracking EQ mount though, so you may want to consider that as an alternative.

Rik, I am thinking about going for the 150p eq3-2. Do you still think I will be able to get some dso astrophotography out of one of them?