sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Best Of, Worst Of, The Moving Image.

We sat down last night with a beer , got the popcorn out , snuggled up on the couch, and popped a film in the DVD player.

What followed was the worst 2 hours of Space related drivel I have ever seen.

Mission to Mars, a $100 million blockbuster from 2000, a film so bad it has a website dedicated to explaining the factual inaccuracies. More wooden than Pinocchio, and more cheese than Wensleydale. Shame on you Gary Sinise and Tim Robbins.

You have been warned, don't even consider watching it.

On the other hand Moon (2009) is one of the most enjoyable and thought provoking films I have seen. It cost $5 million.

What are your best of, worst of 'Space' related experiences with the celluloid.

Paul

Edited by Polar Bear

Deep Impact was woeful. Independence Day was enjoyable as an escape from reality movie.

I just enjoy most sci-fi movies for the pure escapism of them. I am not looking for factual entertainment. Thats what documentaries are for.

I suppose the best "space" movie i have seen was Apollo 13 because it was based on actual events.

Best movie i have seen of late (non-space) was "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". I really enjoyed it but kept from watching it for months because i thought it was some sort of Kung-Fu movie.

Agreed, Independence day was as cheesy as they come. Quite liked Contact with Jody Foster, the latest Star Trek movie and Firefly series was entertaining.

Contact, is also one of my favorite space movies. I find it easier to enjoy movies when they are made and acted well. Independence Day, on the other hand, is fun if you can temporarily completely dismiss your belief in physics. I think one of my favorite things about bad "Space" movies (actually, movies in general) is being able to make fun of the physics during the movie. Just me I guess...

The Ewoks were brilliant. Even the Ewok action figures were brilliant because no matter how much you tried to destroy them with fireworks, they simply got scorch marks but survived. The rest of the SW action figures were blown to smidereens.

..... Moon (2009) is one of the most enjoyable and thought provoking films I have seen. It cost $5 million.

Paul

Totaly agree. Directed by David Bowie's son.

Good sci-fi IMHO - Blade Runner, Star Trek, Avatar (ok poor story but the vfx wow ;) same goes for Succer Punch), Alien, Watchmen, '9' (not to be confused with 'Nine') and many more.

Good stuff to watch with the misses IMHO - Amelie, Tangled (dont normally do Disney but this is good), UP, WALL-E (infact most Pixar stuff), anything with Johnny Depp.

Avatar 3D i enjoyed in the cinema but nearly threw up due to vertigo. The 2D version on BR is much more pleasing.

WOW..................how did i nearly forget the movie District 9.

A superb movie which when you think about it had very little to do with aliens coming to Earth and living here.

Masterpiece of cinema?..............................i would say so.

I have heard there is a sequel in the works.

Who knows.

In a way..............i hope not.

Also i did enjoy the Transformers movies. The one when they battled in Egypt i wasnt keen on. Was that the 3rd movie? The one where one of them was doing avery bad impression of Captain Jack Sparrow.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
WOW..................how did i nearly forget the movie District 9.

A superb movie which when you think about it had very little to do with aliens coming to Earth and living here.

Amazing movie:D

The original Star Wars trilogy and The Thing are by far the best as for the worst Melancholia and Battlefield Earth are right up there.

For me the best space films are the alien quadrillogy and yes I even count the rather poor 3rd instalment. Alien vs predator worth a watch then forgotting about.

Star wars trilogy, the original 4 5 and 6 not the bone jar jarring 1 2 3.

as for sci fi in general then blade runner is at the top of a very large pile, followed closely by donnie darko and the original matrix.

worst film I have ever seen was million dollar hotel starring and directed by mad mel gibson. Was dragged to the cinema to see that and after an hour we were the only 2 left in the cinema.

Oh and as for district 9, you could tell the film was just start of might turn out to be a long story. Still I thought it excellent and at last a different approach to the whole alien invasion style movies.

Oh and the original day the earth stood still.

I watched District 9 on DVD a few weeks ago, (and although it obviously was a statement on apartheid thinly disguised as a Sci-Fi film) found it to be excellent, and very funny in parts.

2001 A Space Odyssey left a major impression on me and I can vividly remember watching it at the 'Pictures' with my Dad. It was that era when Space Exploration and future technology was dominant as the way forward for mankind. I also remember being told in that era, that by the end of the century we would have all our work done by robots, have lots of leisure time and nobody on the planet would be poor !

Sunshine is a film I would definitely recommend for DVD.

Quatermass and the Pit, still a great watch.

The remake of War of the Worlds was a great opportunity missed.

Paul