Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Truly once in a lifetime

Azure

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found an better looking spot near Broadstairs. There's a car park on the B2052 at Joss Bay. It has a good view of the NE horizon and is slightly elevated.

As long as it's not actually raining I am going to set up regardless - just in case we get a glimpse of the sky during the hour or so the transit will be visible.

post-21583-133877783654_thumb.jpg

post-21583-13387778366_thumb.jpg

I've booked the day off work as the whole transit is visible from Melbourne. I've got a nice site in a field in front of the house, solar glasses and solar filter for the scope. Except it's forecast to be cloudy, so probably won't see a thing.

I am currently charging everything and will be packing the car to leave for the coast about lunchtime. Quick reccie of the the three potential sites this afternoon then spend a pleasant evening in cloudy Broadstairs with the wife :laugh:

I've got the laptop set up to run internet using my phone as a modem and thoroughly expect we will be watching Nasa's webcast in a warm car rather than looking through the telescope - but hey-ho!

weather looks pants in northern England. I'll still be getting up though and travelling to the top of Werneth Low near Stockport if anyone fancies meeting up. Cannot see the point of travelling miles to stare at the same clouds I can see from here!

The way I see it, I'd rather go and not see anything than not go and not know whether I missed an oppurtinity - after all, all we need is a break in the clouds for just an hour, and no forecast can predict whether that's gonna happen :grin:

Good luck everyone! Fingers (and toes) crossed that we all get to see at least a bit of this phenomenon! :icon_salut:

- AZ

Today I prepared by doing a trial run of the sunrise this morning which went OKish and riding a donkey down a volcano.

Think I'm all sorted for tomorrow morning.

Well, according to the latest weather reports, certain areas of the UK are clear at 4am tomorrow - Brighton for instance.

Have a look at 'BBC weather' online for the map of clear areas!

I'm probably going to try Brighton, we've got friends who live there and apparently there's a big hill just north of it (devil's dyke) and it 'should' be clear!

It was medium succesful for me.

Maybe a bit better, you know those clouds that only form on the peak of mountains and nowhere else?

We had that... Still it left a nice gap between the horizon and top of the clouds so we managed to see the sunrise. We got a reasonable hour of seeing before it clouded over for a bit and then it cleared a little for the tail end of the transit.

I think I got a few decent shots although the conditions were so different than my trial run so there was a bit of faffing, also I was quite surpised with the Polarie's sun tracking mode at 300mm and extremely rough alignment.

Sorry folks though no pictures until we get back on the weekend.

Typical weather for me, cloud covered sky from horizon to horizon. Still I watched it last week thanks to Stellarium's fast forward button and the nasa webcast last night (or is that classed as cheating).

Was waiting for the transit with several other people, and finally the clouds cleared and the sun came out! - 5 minutes after the transit had ended...

But glad some people got to see it, better than none! And there's always next time(;

Well, as many of you know, the plan was to head to Whitby and watch the transit under the statue of Captain James Cook (who travelled massive distances to see the 1769 ToV) - sadly, I should have done what he did and travel to the other side of the earth to see it! Forecast was so awful for Whitby that I opted for the top of a big hill in Leeds instead as that promised only a "light mist"...

Clouds, mist and general lurk...Gutted! :cry:

However, in honour of what Captain Cook saw all those years ago, I attach a picture that I took on my trial run in Whitby a couple of weeks ago - one of those great moments where (if you look very closely) you suddenly realise the trail left by a plane makes it look like Captain Cook was firing a rocket launcher...

Congratulations to all who got to see it...envy envy envy! :Envy:

post-23024-0-42556300-1338981960_thumb.j

The decision to go to Tromso in North Norway turned out to be a good one as this part of Scotland was clouded out. Missed seeing the first few minutes due to a 2 hour delay in the final flight but then had virtually clear skies right through to the end. I don't know how good the photos will ever look but the view through the PST with a 6mm Radian was pretty spectacular.

Archived