SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Truly once in a lifetime

Azure

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I'll try to wave back!

I agree, it's not the nicest of places, but I'm not old enough to drive so I can't really choose exactly where I go ): But I'm not complaining!

- AZ

just checked it out on Stellarium.. no way im going to be seeing that. :/

Just head for your nearest hill, or your nearest bit of East coast.

Unless you mean it's too early in the morning for you :clouds2:

smiley-sleep012.gif

Just head for your nearest hill, or your nearest bit of East coast.

Unless you mean it's too early in the morning for you :clouds2:

smiley-sleep012.gif

I'm not a morning person :icon_scratch: I know that sounds flippant considering the rarity of the event but this is coming from the guy who ignored the last passing of Haleys Comet , even though i was aware of it (news etc, i still remember even now) because I wanted to play with my transformers (i was 7).

I also realise I'll never get a clear view of a horizon anywhere near me :rolleyes:

Sun will be about 5 1/2 degrees above horizon at time of third contact so you should be able to find a view somewhere near to you . It's about an hour after the sun breaks the horizon which gives you a chance between now and the day to judge where it'll be in your sky.

I just received some Baader filter in the post yesterday, is it worth putting on the 70mm skylux refractor....or as I planned, my 10' Dobson....the reason i ask is that it has only struck me that the Dob is going to be on the ground to see any transit - presuming I can see it from 52.8 degrees north? - any comments

I "think" that if you plan your cutting carefully you might be able to do both.

Go for an off axis cut... film cut at 200mm diameter, off axis hole in the dob's film holder at a max of 190mm to give you a 5mm border to glue/tape the film in place.

The leftover should be enough for the 70mm since you'd effectively (in "squares") be cutting out 200x200 from your 290x200 film (They tend NOT to be true A4 at 297x210) which should leave you a "rectangle" of 90x200 as a leftover. So enough in the leftover for the 70mm PLUS the finder scope of your dob.

Thanks for that...I never considered cutting for the viewfinders?? but reconed on cutting just a small piece - say 80 - 100mm for the off axis in the 10' Dob ! BTW its great that we, like so many in this part of the world can quite comfortably mix imperial with metric in conversation :)

Thanks for that...I never considered cutting for the viewfinders?? but reconed on cutting just a small piece - say 80 - 100mm for the off axis in the 10' Dob ! BTW its great that we, like so many in this part of the world can quite comfortably mix imperial with metric in conversation :)

I have a 10" dob and made a small filter for the finder - it's REALLY useful. You'd be surprised how tricky the sun can be to line up even when using the scopes shadow to judge it.

I am also slightly concerned about how low the dob will be to the ground but have found a spot in a harbour car park with railings with huge gaps in that should be OK. Otherwise we'll be on the car roof!! Lol

Archived