Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Truly once in a lifetime

Azure

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may try and view it but my view is heavily obstructed towards the east so it's not going to be easy. I saw the last one (2004) which was superb and much more conveniently timed, so it would be nice to see the 2012 one as well to say that I had seen this once in a lifetime opportunity twice ;)

Congratulations Tom ;)
may i be the second to say congratulations and hope you, your partner and your daughter have many happy years watching the skie's and each other ,together . the happiest day's of my life was the birth of my 2 children and i wish your daughter .health ,wisdom and happiness with these gift's she will go far.

Cheers guys :-)

Tom

From what i have read, us poor sods in the UK/Ireland will only catch the dying moments of it. Something like the last 2 mins.

???????????

No, I checked it out on Stellarium, we'll get about an hour. It finishes at about 4 minutes to 6 iirc and sunrise is at about 5.

Exact timing will of course be subject to the black drop effect (think that's right), which I hope to see...

Tom

Zoom EP. Good idea. I have one of those. Not sure if my 70mm refractor could take the weight of the Baadar HyPerion zoom though,LOL.

It should do Paul, my ST80 takes the weight OK and it must be similar to your 70mm. The only thing I have to do is push the scope forwards a little more to balance the additional weight.

No, I checked it out on Stellarium, we'll get about an hour. It finishes at about 4 minutes to 6 iirc and sunrise is at about 5.

Exact timing will of course be subject to the black drop effect (think that's right), which I hope to see...

Tom

Thats just WAY to early for me. I'm usually only going to bed at that time.

I will either be in Crete or Italy for it, I wont have my PST though so I'll grab a couple of pairs of eclipse glasses and if I can't find a pair of solar binos in time I'll make some filters for a pair.

Eek! I hadn't realised that our viewing time would be so limited.

Hmm... will have to find a site to view from 'cos my local home view East has a horizon at 25°

Baader filter film ordered and instructions read.

Will be giving this a try, have filters made for both scopes. Have booked the week off work too. We were planning on viewing from a high Flood bank along the River Welland, but if anyone knows any high spots near Peterborough/Stamford/The Deepings that would be helpful (high spots are so rare in the Fens ;) )

Not to mention that it is going to be cloudy on that day.

The meteorologist cant predict what the weather is supposed to be like for the next day yet alone 1 month!!

I'll certainly try! I'm trying to get a solar filter made for when it happens. I think that June 6th is during half term as well (but even If it's not, I'm still going!).

But that solar filter is critical! Need to get that done!

Great to know I wont be the only one braving the early morning to catch a glimpse of the transit! ;) I too will be buying some Baader solar film to make my own solar filter for my scope.

I did a bit of looking around, and found that the sunrise on that day is around 4:38 AM, and the transit ends just before 6 AM. The easiest point to be looking is about 5:30 AM, when the Sun is around 5 to 6 degrees above the horizon. But by the time the Sun gets much higher the transit has ended. :mad:

Feel free to correct me if any of the above is incorrect :eek:

- AZ

Maybe we should hire a big van and bog off to the south of Spain. Or Italy...

If only. <sigh>

BTW - I'm in Suffolk too, just North of Ipswich - so I'll be at the top of my nearest local "mountain".

Not sure the south of Spain would help. I don't think it will be visible there at all. Puglia would probably be ok if you fancied driving all the way to southern Italy.

James

Nah. I am not even gonna bother. It all sounds way to complicated to me. You need a clear view east towards the rising sun, you need a solar filter. None of these things i have. Not to mention that it is going to be cloudy on that day.

I'm going to hang around a few years to see Halley's Comet in 2061. With a bit of luck i might just still be here.

Luke, me too... I'll be 105 years old though, so I'll need help carrying the scope out. ;))

Got my solar filter ready, might go up to Emley Moor, not too far from me and good Eastward views

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I was actually thinking about Winscar reservoir near Holmfirth or Woolley Edge (which looks east I believe). As for my solar filter, well I start that very soon ;) just hope it'll be a clear day.

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

There are good maps online that show where the Transit will be visible. I'm going to have a go from North Norway which should be in the zone to see it all - but of course no guarantee of clear skies. The Baader filter is made and tested and hope to use the PST too - if I can carry everything!

I am hoping it will be the second venus transit I will see

last time we did a big event in the centre of Sheffield with 2 big screens,local BBC radio morning show live & TV broadcast and internet uplink and we reckon something like 4000 folk passed through the marque

I have it all on dvd taken from the feed from the my baby 60mm Tak which did most of the work

This time it will be me on my lonesome

Steve

Yes I am really looking forward to seeing this rare event again.

I am going to San Francisco next week (son and family live there) and will start with the Annular eclipse on the 20th May and then hopefully will get a great view of the transit on the 5th June.

Taking my PST and will also have access to a 70mm Celestron frac (granddaughters) to do some projection work.

Mark

I will definitely try it again this year. The weather during 04 transit was great and I was lucky it didn't clash with any of my A-level exams. I've been planning since then to see VT 12. I just need more sun to test and learn to use my set up before the big day, but the current weather is not helping.

Not sure the south of Spain would help. I don't think it will be visible there at all. Puglia would probably be ok if you fancied driving all the way to southern Italy.

James

Northern Norway will be better. I think the entire transit will be visible in Tromso

No direct ferries to Norway any more.

DFDS Seaways from Harwich to Denmark is £101 each way and they insist you have a cabin (on their website) at a mere £280...

(&^%%^ website insists you book a cabin for your return journey but says there are non available but insists that you book one but says they're not available...)

Then, of course there's a drive in Denmark to get a ferry to Norway... and a drive further North after that.

Or I suppose I could use the chunnel and then do a helluva drive to Denmark...

Or I could stay at home and have a nice cup of tea.

Archived