SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Truly once in a lifetime

Azure

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah. I am not even gonna bother. It all sounds way to complicated to me. You need a clear view east towards the rising sun, you need a solar filter. None of these things i have. Not to mention that it is going to be cloudy on that day.

I'm going to hang around a few years to see Halley's Comet in 2061. With a bit of luck i might just still be here.

You don't need a solar filter. You can try the projection method with something as simple as a set of binoculars. Of course a more powerful scope might give you a better view, but don't go taking a chance with your expensive Schmidt-cas or Mak ! It might be a good excuse to get the el-cheapo dime-store refractor out of the closet for one last time!

Jim S.

I wanted to see it & try and capture it, but I havent found a suitable location near me to view it from & I wont be able to take a short break to the caost at the time its happening :eek::mad:

So looks like for me I might have to rely on the captures others provide.

Its a shame as its the very reason I got the highly portable VMC110L :)

No worries, theres always something else next month or year coming around & as someone said Halleys Comet in 2061 (and yes i'm hoping to be around for it too ;) )

Made myself a solar filter for just this purpose. A quarter of a mile from me I have a village green with a great view east along the Tyne Valley so that's where I'll head.

Even if it's cloudy, my test run of the solar filter yesterday indicates it was still £25 well spent! Of course I may simply be too worn out by my baby daughter (born today)...

Tom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I did the 2004 transit. When I got home and looked in the bathroom mirror, I looked like a lobster. I have booked a days annual leave for this years transit.

Assuming it's clear here I will try to get a view of what little is possible and hopefully show my children because for them it really is a "once-in-a-lifetime" thing, one of them not being born and the other barely walking when the last one took place.

I have a clear run at the eastern skyline, albeit a little high thanks to the Quantock Hills. Is anyone aware of examples of how high the sun will be in the sky at different points during the transit for, say, the Greenwich Meridian? I can probably work things out from there...

James

Made myself a solar filter for just this purpose. A quarter of a mile from me I have a village green with a great view east along the Tyne Valley so that's where I'll head.

Even if it's cloudy, my test run of the solar filter yesterday indicates it was still £25 well spent! Of course I may simply be too worn out by my baby daughter (born today)...

Tom

Congratulations Tom ;)

Tom

may i be the second to say congratulations and hope you, your partner and your daughter have many happy years watching the skie's and each other ,together . the happiest day's of my life was the birth of my 2 children and i wish your daughter .health ,wisdom and happiness with these gift's she will go far.

I'm about 1.5 miles inland from the east coast. Maybe i'll buy a pair of eclipse glasses online to have a try. They offer zero magnification though so i dont fancy my chances.

I suppose it not outside the realms of reality to buy a sheet of baddar solar film and make a quick solar filter and take a drive down to the beach with my 70mm travelscope. Mind you the scope does not work well at high mag. What type of mag are we talking about on a 70mm refrac?

When is the transit? about 4 weeks away?

I'm about 1.5 miles inland from the east coast. Maybe i'll buy a pair of eclipse glasses online to have a try. They offer zero magnification though so i dont fancy my chances.

I suppose it not outside the realms of reality to buy a sheet of baddar solar film and make a quick solar filter and take a drive down to the beach with my 70mm travelscope. Mind you the scope does not work well at high mag. What type of mag are we talking about on a 70mm refrac?

When is the transit? about 4 weeks away?

its the 5-6th june and i find the sun is excellent on my 90mm ext using the 25mm ep [think about 50-70 magnification is good for the sun ]

I'm definitely going to try and catch it as I missed 2004's event.

Planning to see it from the East coast somewhere between Orford and Weybourne. I've picked out some likely looking sites in GoogleEarth and am going to check them out with a tour next week, mainly to pick a site without off-shore windfarms in the view. Thinking Dunwich or Covehithe as good options but will post my findings next week.

Fingers crossed for a clear hour , thats all we need.

I use an astrozap filter with my 127 Mak and a 32mm EP. The suns disc fills the EP nicely. Although for the transit I might use a zoom EP.

Zoom EP. Good idea. I have one of those. Not sure if my 70mm refractor could take the weight of the Baadar HyPerion zoom though,LOL.

Archived