Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge_winners.thumb.jpg.6becf44442bc7105be59da91b2bee295.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
centroid

IC5067 "The Pelican" in colour

What a glorious night it was last night, warm, still, and a lovely clear sky for a while, until the Moon rose.

However, decided not to chase around 'grabbing' bunch of higher mag DSO's, but spent 2 hours imaging IC5067, the Pelican Nebula.

One sub got blighted by a satellite, but being a mag 30 DSO, and using a less sensitive 'single shot' colour camera, I need all the subs I could get. Once 'stacked' the satellite trail became much less intrusive, but you can still see to the right of the picture.

Would have carried on for another hour, but by 01.00 the rising Moon was introducing too much sky glow, so took a couple of 'darks', and called it a night.

Shame really, as another hour of exposure, would have got the 'noise' down significantly, but hey, it was a clear night, so I should grateful for that :(

The setup was: 10" LX200GPS + F3.3 FR, SXVF-H9C and 12x10 min subs at 1x1. Guided with an ED80+DSI. Image processed in AA4.

With the SXVF-H9C, using the F3.3FR, its right on the limit, and tends to coma a bit. Even with the 3.3, I still can't contain the whole nebula, so although using the F6.3 would remove the coma, it would contain even less of the nebula, so 'Hobson's choice' really.

Dave

post-13389-133877329833_thumb.jpg

So many layers visible in that nebulosity Dave, that gives it great depth. It's a very fine image indeed sir.

Ron. :(