Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sanmatt

A bit of helping imaging M101 please

Why don't you just switch all that off do a simple visual polar alignment and then focus and start taking some pictures. Honestly I only plunk the scope down line up polaris in the little reticule and leave it at that.

I have never done a 2 star alignment not ever! I don't have a go to system though so cant help with all that I'm afraid. With short subs at even 30 seconds I doubt if tracking will be an issue for you so long as the motors are turning.

Keep things really simple quick visual polar alignment then find M13 lock down focus and start taking 30 second subs lots of them all the rest can come at a later date.

It 's too cloudy to see anything now so Ive brought it all in :eek: but I'll try to keep it simple next time and see how it goes thanks Mark ;)

How about one star alignment on Arcturus? Might be an opportunity though to get to know the new mount before diving into getting some images. Some nights (quite a few sometimes) all plans about capturing images fall apart. Keep at it though, you never know.

It 's too cloudy to see anything now so Ive brought it all in :mad: but I'll try to keep it simple next time and see how it goes thanks Mark ;)

Awww rats thats a real downer sorry to hear that curse those pesky clouds. That happens so many time you learn to get used to but sometimes when I fear the clouds approaching I will just put it all up really fast and start snapping away to get a feel for the subject then next time when its clear I have a better idea of what my exposures and times will produce a good results its all trail and error but more error then anything. :eek:

Some nights can be very frustrating indeed my worst one resulted in batterys dying on me subs all taken in jpegs all out of focus and clouds rolling in and out on que sending me ranting like a loony into my shed then back again then in again then finally having a baby tantrum and kicking the mount since then I have learned to be prepared better and to not bother if the weather is rubbish. If its rubbish I spend the time practising on things I need to get right. Hope the clouds bug off for you soon.

I found cloudy nights were useful for setting up everything indoors and getting familiar with the kit, simulated alignment, capture software, etc..

Edited by Spikey

Yes and practising your processing skills ;)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Completely overcast by the time it got properly dark ;)

Dont feel, bad just watched sky at night and Paul only got 5 objects on the moores marathon its been so dire. But hey we have all got each other to chat with so thats cool ;)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2