Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier and roll off cover, mostly pics

Petrol

The wheels are from a second hand video dolly (tracking) system I bought some time ago but never used. Other than that, I know nothing about it. I do however have quite a bit of spare track if anyone wants it. I’m sure it would be fairly easy for someone with a lathe to make some nylon wheels.

Blank pier plate from Astrotec has arrived. Have to say I am very impressed

063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

Fitted the EQ6, this is better than my original plan of 2 plates and an adapter on the top plate

066.jpg

Pete

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very neat, very strong, very nice.

You know that there is absolutely no need to have a level mount? You'd actually have a stiffer system if you just bolted the mount to the steel plate on the pier top.

Those rollers are great.

Olly

Very neat, very strong, very nice.

Olly

Hi Olly, coming from you that means an awful lot to me. I often look at your pics in awe :rolleyes: I did know there is no need to level the mount as I read it in one of your posts :icon_scratch: I can’t however fathom out how to use just one plate. The problem is that this tube would have to be inside the pier.

068.jpg

Also the distance between the threaded bar inside the pier is less than the diameter of the EQ6 base.

069.jpg

This would cause the bolts to foul. I did consider using only 1 plate but came to the conclusion that the diameter of the pier would have to be huge in order to accommodate this arrangement. I might be missing something simple though :clouds2:

The weak point as far as I can see are the 4 threaded bars that go into the pier. I am planning on spraying the plates then filling this void with resin and setting the bottom plate on it before it cures. I assume this will improve rigidity?

071.jpg

I don’t intend leveling the mount properly, which is why I went for the 6 bolt mounting between the plates. Rigid over level.

As far as progress goes, I have cut the wooden blocks to go between the concrete pads and the main joists. I will fit a DPC (Damp proof course) to these but for added protection, I am soaking them in preservative

070.jpg

My main concern is how to fit the door; no idea what to do :icon_scratch:Tomorrow is spraying day. I know how to do that so an easy day

Thanks for looking,

Pete

Sprayed the metallic blue today

Plates

080.jpg

Synscan bracket

073.jpg

Damp proof course on base support

074.jpg

Base trim sealed with silicon

075.jpg

Fitting like this avoids unsightly end grain

076.jpg

Test run

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

Thanks for the feedback :) More done today

Brackets to hold the base secure

081.jpg

Fitted a foam collar around the pier base, this is more for insulation than movement isolation. Measured and cut to size

082.jpg

Double sided tape on the back

083.jpg

Fitted

084.jpg

Underfloor insulation – I cut the polystyrene sheets slightly too big and used a board to fit them

085.jpg

Cut them with this serrated knife

086.jpg

Complete

087.jpg

The foam around the pier base made the floor easier to cut

089.jpg

Floor fitted

088.jpg

Fitted the mount

090.jpg

Trail fit with my biggest scope to check for clearance

091.jpg

092.jpg

Rain is forecast so I used my trailer tent cover

093.jpg

Thanks for looking

Pete

Built the frames tonight using 60 X 30 PAR timber. Screwed it all together with 4 X 75mm Deck screws.

094.jpg

3X 100mm solid brass hinges for the door. These are pretty big but there will be a fair bit of load on them

095.jpg

Have to say these really are “silky smooth” probably due to the washered design. I got them from B&Q, they sell loads of hinges and it’s hard to sort the good from the bad but if anyone wants some the packet looks like this

096.jpg

Screwed the frame on

097.jpg

Wood frame screwed to top. I have something a bit special planned for the roof, I’m not sure exactly how it’s going to work out yet but I can always screw some blocks on to increase the overhang on the sides

098.jpg

Then it jack-knifed

099.jpg

Well it’s a bit tight to the fence so I tipped it on its side to get the visqueen vapor barrier on. No joins, one piece did 3 sides. Nailed on with galvanized clout nails

100.jpg

Checked for clearance, 200p

102.jpg

Megrez

103.jpg

Waterproof for now. I don’t trust the met office with their forecast, it was suppose to rain all day today :)

101.jpg

More soon,

Thanks for looking

Pete

The door is a bit tricky, the plan is to use tanalised shiplap over a frame. Long story but I had to laminate an edging for the door. As you can see the hinges are right on the edge of the join

104.jpg

Used no nails to laminate it together

105.jpg

Block of wood to ensure it’s square

106.jpg

This is the main part, big block of wood screwed to the outside of the roll off. This offers a big offset to enable the door to clear the base

107.jpg

All will be clear when I post up a vid of it :)

Thanks for the comments, one obsy build is enough though :)

Got the tanalised cladding on. I went for the thinner 12mm stuff to save weight

109.jpg

110.jpg

Roof braces at door end

112.jpg

Hinges on

111.jpg

Checking clearance for door

113.jpg

Just a do

114.jpg

Tracks come through side, rough cut the cladding