Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
MartinB

M27 More AO fumblings

Superb clear sky last night but poor seeing and moon. More battling with the SXV adaptive optics unit. Lots of faffing and sorting out but slowly getting there. The guide star kept fading out and my drift alignment wasn't as good as it should have been. Started setting up before dark and started imaging at about 2.00am with work at 7.00am. Took about 12 5min subs but had to ditch 5 of them when the guide star faded (0.5sec exposure unbinned to get the AO to do it's stuff). When it works though it rocks!!! :(

So this is 7x5 mins Ha NS8 with AP 0.67 reducer captured and combined in maxim, fits liberator and photoshop. Would like to get a couple of hours of Ha in total then similar with OIII. Hope I get the chance. Forecast not looking good now.

image.jpg

Superb Martin! So much detail in that! The adaptive optics stuff seems very impressive, do you know if it bends the mirror all over or just angles it to get the adjustment?

do you know if it bends the mirror all over or just angles it to get the adjustment?

It's a tilting glass window Grant, not the fancy deforming mirrors which they are using on the big observatories now.

So it can only adapt so far then? Then does the mount adjust? So the AO takes care of the small differences and the mount moves to cover the big differences?

started imaging at about 2.00am with work at 7.00am.

Now that's what I call dedication :(

Nice fine detail in there Martin, very nice!!.

Dave

Thanks guys. Don't know about dedicated Dave, obsessed more like :(

So it can only adapt so far then? Then does the mount adjust? So the AO takes care of the small differences and the mount moves to cover the big differences?

Spot on Grant. Except if the polar alignment is good the mount and the PEC not outrageous the mount should rarely need bumping. If the mount does need to make a correction it is important that the guide star is being rapidly updated (0.5 secs or less) so that it can maintain the image position. The unit can manage about 25-30 pixels in each direction.

Great image for having so many problems. We are in for a treat when everything falls into place I would say.

I don't understand how an adaptive optics device can respond without laser or summat like that.

Has there been loads of developement in this area recently. I am totally out of touch. Is there a site that can be visited to get more information?.

Ron.

...Started setting up before dark and started imaging at about 2.00am with work at 7.00am...

:shock:

Great capture Martin, well worth the dedication and effort. :(