Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

seymour solar film..... unpopular?

garethmob

when i bought my astral 500 it came with a seymour solar filter,

now obviously i was a little wary as i hadnt heared of it, did a search and it seems extreamly popular in the US but not here it seems the baader film is king

which i find strange

the seymour gives the sun a more natural red/orange glow and sun fetures are more prominant in it compared to the baader

so does any one know why its not as popular over here?

I had the same experience as John. Seemed to lack contrast and no where near as sharp as the Baader film. Again, this was a year or so ago so things may have changed.

I also didn't like the colour. Not at all natural, the sun is white after all, not orange, not red. (ok a chunk of atmospheric scattering can make it appear so).

Cheers

Ian

Lol when I meant natural as in natural as we see it:P. iv never had the change to "look" through baader only images so I can't compare. When did you guys give it ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this a stupid time to say.... But when I look at the sun it's red:P lol. Is it just our eyes playing tricks on us?

That's probably just your retinas burning :hello2:

It was a couple of years ago and I had been using Baader film but thought I'd try the Seymour film see how it compared. The Seymour lacked the sharpness and contrast of the Baader and the colour just didn't seem right.

Use a Herschel wedge now anyway. :hello2:

There's a good little article here on the colour of the sun.

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/FAQ/Qsuncolor.html

John

I hate the baader stuff ,I use he thousand oaks stuff for a few reasons

1,gives another color,and better detail

2,bigger sheets

3,you can turn the color of and get the same white view as the baader and other brands

4,when the color is turned of on capture software it's shows better sun spot and surface detail

5,color filters work better with the thousand oaks I found green filters work better for contrast

I have used both one afternoon I let the street come for a look they would not beleave,that the sun is white ,I put the thousand oaks filter on ,orange view the gasps where amazing ,my next door,on every sunny day "shouts any sun view in today" he loved it

So I say this try both,trouble with astronomy is people are like sheep if some one says,this is the best every one follows that ,and buys it contrast is always. A problem with the baader stuff

Clear skies Pat

Tried the Seymour and Thousand Oaks. Result find the Baader gives the best results for detail and contrast, and if you want a yellow/orange sun just add a coloured filter.

If you're really after the best white light solar images then get a Hershel wedge.

John

Tried the Seymour and Thousand Oaks. Result find the Baader gives the best results for detail and contrast, and if you want a yellow/orange sun just add a coloured filter.

If you're really after the best white light solar images then get a Hershel wedge.

John

but not in an SCT, Mak, RC or Newt! :hello2:

Any reflector (especially those with a fast primary) needs a filter in front to reject most of the energy.

(I know John knows this, but there may be some people out there who do not).

Usually, wedges are placed in slow refractors (less concentration of light and heat), I wonder if the Baader wedge would be OK in my APM 80mm F/6.

but not in an SCT, Mak, RC or Newt! :)

Any reflector (especially those with a fast primary) needs a filter in front to reject most of the energy.

(I know John knows this, but there may be some people out there who do not).

Usually, wedges are placed in slow refractors (less concentration of light and heat), I wonder if the Baader wedge would be OK in my APM 80mm F/6.

Ahhh....forget to mention it in my post. :hello2:

John

Thanks guys :hello2: as I have the seymour ill keep using it but I have a thousand oaks of a unknown age for the coulter. Not gonna try it though ye way the previous owner had it.

If any one wants to donate enough for a 60mm scope of baader...:) hehe

Michael,

Baader Herschel wedge works fine in my 150mm f/8. Got a bit of oil smoke for first few uses from the metal mesh behind the ceramic plate, but that has cleared up now.

Also works fine in my 80ED.

Cheers

Ian

Archived