Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130P review

Hi everyone,

I have had this scope for two months now and despite the best efforts of the weather I have managed to use it on a few occasions.

First of all I would like to say that immediately out of the box I liked the design of the scope. The matt black and white 'written' names offers a really nice look to the scope and something a bit different. Setting up the scope was also very easy out of the box, simply slightly unscrew the dovetail holder screw, move the scope until you can get good balance and re-tightening. The next thing that I needed to do was to align the RDF. This was also very easy to do and the supplied instructions covered all basis.

On to the viewing :(

So far I have seen quite a few objects through this scope and have been pleased with everything so far (although I am sure when the weather improves and I go DSO hunting properly I may start to get aperture fever :p). My first object was the moon and I was just blown away by the surface detail visible, endless amounts of craters right across the surface. The next object that I turned to was Venus, with it being the brightest in the sky it was quite easy for a newbie to find :D. Initially I was a bit disappointed that only a crescent moon shape was visible but then after reading through posts I realised this was all that was really ever visible so I soon diverted my attention to Jupiter. This was another WOW moment, initially being an orange blob but slowly bands becoming more and more visible and seeing 4 of the moons trailing off in a line to the side. Being the first object I viewed for any amount of time I was required to 'nudge' my scope along. As per other peoples reviews this was a very easy thing to do and quickly became natural in tracking the object.

Having exhausted the planets available at that time I turned my attention towards the Orion nebula. Having read that DSO's appear as faint grey smudges I wasn't expecting to much for a 5" scope but I really was impressed. I clearly made out the wing shape of the nebula and with the 10mm eyepiece I could just make out the trapezium. The next object I saw was the Pleiades which were once again very impressive.

Around Easter time I took this scope up to Scotland and the portability of it was really helpful, I believe that even if it couldn't collapse I wouldn't have been able to fit it into the packed car. As it was I got some really great views up in Scotland and saw Mars for the first time. Although only a small red blob I was impressed with the colour it showed.

The latest object I have seen is Saturn, I think everyone's biggest WOW moment. The rings were very clearly defined, the gap between rings and planet was also clear and in really good seeing I could just make out very faint banding across centre of the planet.

Recently I bought a NexImage to go with the scope, from what I understand this is a spc9900 with different branding so is good for planetary and lunar imaging. I have tried the latter and am pleased with the results although this is where I must bring up the one bad point of the scope. The focuser. It appears too jerky to use and not really accurate enough, only allowing focus in the rough area needed. While viewing this doesn't bother me too much but it does appear worse when imaging. I have attached two images below taken through the scope.

All in all this is an absolutely fantastic scope and as a beginner I am very glad I chose this as my first scope. It has really started the hobby for me and fueled my interest in astronomy. I would highly recommend this scope to anyone considering starting out in the hobby or anyone who wants a small portable scope that offers great views.

Sion

post-33557-133877769588_thumb.jpg

post-33557-133877769592_thumb.jpg

Archived