SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Older scopes

I'm looking at an old evostar 102, on a skyscan 2001 mount.

From what i gather, the mount is just an old EQ3-2. I know the bundle is at least 5 years old, but i guess it could be anything up to 11 years old guessing by the mount name.

Are the coatings likely to be inferior to current day evostars? and even if they weren't, are they likely to have degraded at all? Apparently the scope has only been used for a few months, then covered in a spare room for the rest of it's life.

A lot of folks on here use scopes that are 10 years or more old (me included) and a number much older than that !. The optics seem to last pretty well if they are looked after reasonably well. The main risk with older refractors that have been stored in damp conditions is fungus on the lens surfaces and between the lens elements. This can be spotted fairly easily though.

Well i won the auction, got it for the grand price of £77!

So chuffed right now, and it's only 10 miles away :D

I haven't inspected it, though i should have (not had time, working lots). Seems pretty immaculate from the pics, and the description states it's been covered in the spare room so i figure it should be fine.

:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I couldn't believe it! I had work tonight so left the autobid to do it's work. I secretly hoped i didn't win because i entered maybe a little more than i can afford... Just came home to an email starting with "Congratulations..." and my heart sank a little... Then i saw the price! :(

I just hope we can arrange a pickup either tomorrow daytime or wednesday morning before i leave, i'm going away for 2 weeks, so hopefully they can do the next couple of days, or are prepared to store it for another 2 weeks (i'd pay as soon as they let me know whats what). I'm pretty certain that worst case they'l hold onto it for 2 weeks though, they have had it for 5 years after all. lol

Assuming scope and mount are in any reasonable kind of condition you've got an excellent deal there, I reckon. I'm quite amazed it went for so little. I'm sure I saw an EQ3-2 go last week for something like £130.

James

Nice one! Always a risk buying this type of gear on Ebay. My recently won auction of a 6 year old WO scope arrived and is in great condition, hopefilly yours will be too.

Let us know if it's as good as it looks!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Theres the link to the pics etc. Can't see the objective, but from the way it was kept, and looking at the rest of the scope, i expect them to be pretty tidy. :(

I was very tempted by that scope but decided to hold out for the Skyliner 200P that I really want.

I'm glad that I did not end up bidding against you.

I was very tempted by that scope but decided to hold out for the Skyliner 200P that I really want.

I'm glad that I did not end up bidding against you.

A good move, i love my 200p, and this is in no way a replacement to it. I've just been hankering for a nice long frac for a while now, and this seemed too good to pass up. Gonna be nice to compare the two, and hopefully i'l eventually get a binoviewer for the frac.

Nothing wrong with older scopes .

Mine are in pristine condition and perform as well if not better than many modern scopes , they are

An astrophysics 180 EDT

And a vixen atlux 152 ED

And oldest of all a prinz 660 which still gives nice sharp views .

Also remember that alvan clark refractors still perform very well after 100 years .

Condition not age is what matters ,well looked after they should last a lifetime.

Archived