SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star Party @ Kelling Heath

Hi all,

I am looking at going to Kelling Heath, but since I dont drive, I am looking at someone that would go via/from or nearby ipswich, who can possibly give me and the missus a lift. I will try and get some accommodaiton close to the area if I can find someone who cna give me a lift. :(

Cheers,

Prasad

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I thought I will have another go at trying to find someone to give me a lift(about 10 miles from the site). I can come down by train to Sandringham, and can hopefully find accommodation in Sandringham. I thought if someone can give me a lift from and to Sandringham then I will go ahead and book something.. Please, can anyone help?

Cheers,

Prasad

I haven't. By the time I'd heard of the existence of this place in the world, they were booked up. So I am looking at getting a B&B in Kelling/Sheringham and am hoping of sorting a lift or a taxi out.. I've tried a few taxi companies and no one is answering.. well there is still time to go and there is always hope!

Cheers,

Prasad

Hi Prased,

You can get all the way to kelling by train. If you go from Ipswich to Norwich and then Norwich to Sherringham and then onto the Poppy line from sherringham to Kelling. I'm sure you will find some where in Sherringham to stay as it will be just out of the holiday season. The trains are hourly from Norwich to Sherringham and there will be some trains on the Poppy Line(North Norfolk Railway) as it is their 1940's weekend !!!!

Peter

Hi

I know i can get a train to Sheringham/Kelling.The trouble is to find a taxi company that will take me back to Sheringham(from Kelling Heath) in the wee hours of the morning and back, plus I would like to stay for 2 days atleast..

Do you know of any local taxi numbers? I tried finding, but could not reach anyone out..

Cheers,

Prasad

Hi,

You could try one of these :-

Stuart's Taxi & TravelMG Cabs

18, Holway Rd, Sheringham, Norfolk NR26 8HN

Tel: 01263 820999

MG Cabs

18, Holway Rd, Sheringham, Norfolk NR26 8HN

Tel: 01263 820999

Pegasus Taxis

12, Hillside Rd, Beeston Regis, Sheringham, Norfolk NR26 8TT

Tel: 01263 823646

Anglia Taxis of Sheringham

77, Station Rd, Sheringham, Norfolk NR26 8RG

Tel: 01263 822222

A.1 Taxis (Sheringham) Ltd

21, St. Peters Rd, Sheringham, Norfolk NR26 8QY

Tel: 01263 822228

Hope that is of help.

Peter

Hi ,

Thanks Peter, for your note. None of the taxi companies work past midnight there- I've virtually called everyone, but There is one, that runs upto 1 am on a saturday.

I think I need some serious advice here. Do you all think it is worth travelling from Ipswich and staying up until 12 am for most of the nights and say upto 1 am on Saturday night?

I some how have a feeling that though I may not be able to get the best out of the trip, but this still might be good enough as an experience for the first time..?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Prasad

Prasad

If the one that runs up until 1am is going to take you to Ipswich, then you'll be leaving well before midnight surely??

To be pefectly honest, you have left this way too late. Many people have had their pitch booked since the Spring Star Party and have organised lifts/accomodation accordingly. You have to remember that the pitches have to accomodate the tent/camper van as well as the scopes - and there are some flippin' big ones!!

I also think that it will be virtually impossible to find someone at the camp who would be willing to leave part-way thru the night and take you back to wherever. Most people will have a drink or two when its cloudy. Kelling is very much a big social event as well as an observing/imaging opportunity.

Unless you hit jackpot on both accomodation and transport, I would chalk it up to experience and prepare for Spring event.

If the one that runs up until 1am is going to take you to Ipswich, then you'll be leaving well before midnight surely??

Well Not to Ipswich, but to Sheringham which is only 4 miles away. But I see your point - I realised it wont be easy for people to give you a lift to a different location, even if it is closeby. To be honest, I would have booked it on time, if I'd known in advance about the star party- Lesson learnt, I will now book in advance.

I have anyway added my name on the waiting list in Kelling, which I am told is long enough, before I can get a pitch. I have also put in a wanted note in the member's buy/sell and astrobuysell, just in case there are any last minute cancellations. Let me see what is in store..! Thanks for the suggestions though..

Cheers,

Prasad

Also, i really dont think someone would share a tent with you! especially if you dont know anyone! Suppose its just a man thing eh greg and steve lol!

Yes I understand that people wont share a tent with someone they dont know.. I probably wouldn't do it either- but it was just a way of trying and increasing the odds.

Let me see what is in store though..

Cheers,

Prasad

Archived