Narrowband

A never before seen sight

TRNunes

Hi, everyone!

I observed something through my telescope today that I've personally never seen before, which got me wondering... Is that a universal attraction? I know that most (if not all) Stargazers Lounge members have a better understanding of astronomy than me, that some of you teach (or have taught) the subject, and that some have even done scientific research. I also appreciate that people's passion's vary, and that astronomy covers far, far more than simply looking at shiny bits through a 'scope (i.e. what I like to do (smile)). That said though, is seeing something for the first time, in real time with your own eyes something that connects us all?

I ask because today, while observing the sun through my telescope, I saw an airliner fly across the face of the sun's disc at maybe a 20 - 30 degree angle, its contrail still visible against the face of the sun after it had passed. It's assuredly a pretty common occurrence, especially in locations near major airports (I personally live on the flight paths of two major airports, Chicago O'Hare and Chicago Midway). Still, I'd never seen anything like that before, and it literally took my breath away.

Just curious if others have had similar experiences, and if such experiences contribute to your desire to keep looking up into the sky?

Oh, I bet not all that common. However, the other night, I was testing out my DSI 1 camera on the Moon, and an airliner went across the face of it while I was "looping" my camera. Unfortunately, I did NOT have the "capture" process running, so I missed the photo of the century! ( at least for me, it would have been ! )

I suspect that the event is rare enough to make one's hair rise up on the back of their necks, when it does happen. I know mine did!

Jim S.

I recently purchased an ST80 to use as my grab and go, immediately stripped it down to perform a few mods then took it outside for first light. Looked at the usual suspects but whilst viewing I saw a satellite cross my path which I manually tracked for a couple of seconds. Whilst tracking a large shiny object crossed my FoV. I looked up to find out it was the ISS.

Not a bad first light and felt quite chuffed to have it in my view if only for a couple of seconds.

Oh, I bet not all that common. However, the other night, I was testing out my DSI 1 camera on the Moon, and an airliner went across the face of it while I was "looping" my camera. Unfortunately, I did NOT have the "capture" process running, so I missed the photo of the century! ( at least for me, it would have been ! )

I suspect that the event is rare enough to make one's hair rise up on the back of their necks, when it does happen. I know mine did!

Jim S.

Very cool, Jim! And, you know, I was playing around with my camera at the time too, and thought the same thing! ;-)

I recently purchased an ST80 to use as my grab and go, immediately stripped it down to perform a few mods then took it outside for first light. Looked at the usual suspects but whilst viewing I saw a satellite cross my path which I manually tracked for a couple of seconds. Whilst tracking a large shiny object crossed my FoV. I looked up to find out it was the ISS.

Not a bad first light and felt quite chuffed to have it in my view if only for a couple of seconds.

Not bad?? That's INCREDIBLE! Certainly makes my airliner pale by comparison. But, again, maybe it get's back to my original point about actually experiencing something first hand, possibly for the first time, and getting caught up by the coolness of it. ;-)

Whenever I see the ISS go over I have to resist the urge to wave! :(

Seriously though, I find it completely mindblowing to think how far away it is and that there are people on it. Sends a shiver down my spine every time.

First light with the solar scope I saw the ISS cross the disk. I was so excited making sure it was the ISS with my iphone I nearly missed the second satellite a few minutes later. Don't know what that one was though.

Nothing since mind.

That photo is incredible. I just got my Baader film and have yet to build a holder for it. I'm excited to see the Sun, let alone a plane or ISS crossing it. I did see an airplane cross my FOV while checking out Venus with my C 8 SE. I thought that was cool enough. Man, I just started this hobby and I love it already.

Not seen the ISS tranit the moon or sun but did get this

blank

Steve

Man, I just got some Baader film (I have yet to build a holder) and I live near enough to Chicago's Ohare Airport and Chicago's Midway Airport that there are always aircraft passing overhead... I could only wish to be fortunate enough to pull off an image like that. Well done.

Ive had a standard PST for about 3 months now, have used it nearly every day. I have never seen a plane pass through the FOV once. BUT.... my 10 year old son who observes with me has seen 3!!! pah!! :hello2:

Ive had a standard PST for about 3 months now, have used it nearly every day. I have never seen a plane pass through the FOV once. BUT.... my 10 year old son who observes with me has seen 3!!! pah!! :hello2:

Wow. Talk about some fantastic father-son memories. :-)

Now I'm doing solar, I hope to experience this. It would be amaaaazing.

Superb shot Ibbo.

I did get a flock of birds fly across the Moon at midnight which made me jump out of my skin! Here's a still.

post-14350-133877770396_thumb.jpg

Now I'm doing solar, I hope to experience this. It would be amaaaazing.

Superb shot Ibbo.

I did get a flock of birds fly across the Moon at midnight which made me jump out of my skin! Here's a still.

Very cool! Who knew there were birds on the moon? ;-)

Archived