Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Iris nebula second attempt

Quatermass

oh ohh, just found out that sky at night magizine put my first attempt at M101 on the mag's disk this month :hello2:, rats.. which I had sent them my last one that was much better but still very chuffed about that :)

They put this one in..

M101.JPG

that was my first attempt at it last year this was this years shot

M101%2520200p%2520master%2520image%2520copy%25202_filtered.jpg

Still very nice to have it on the disk good old S@N :)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Graham

This one is not to hard to find if you locate the constellation of Cepheus which looks like a childs drawing of house, start in the top right corner and the Iris nebula is not too far away. When looking for it I just get my finder scope lined up first with another star so that it is dead centre of the picture taken with my canon 350d then move it to the area where the Iris Nebula is and take a few test shots. Once you have spotted where it is you wont forget it. :)

It shows up quite bright on a 30 second shot at and ISO of 1600 so just snap away and move a little bit till you see it appear on your photograph. I use backyard eos to give me a nice big picture of the area on my laptop rather then peering at my small screen on the camera. I used to do that but using backyard eos or astrophotography tool makes it much easier to see what your doing and focus correctly. Certainly makes a big difference when your focusing the camera with your bahtinov mask on.

Hope you get some clear skies soon, this clouds is getting to me now.:hello2:

It was nice and sunny this afternoon but now it's completely overcast :hello2: Rain is forecast for later in the night and tomorrow! I've got completely out of practice with astronomy and had problems finding anything last night after several weeks of cloudy/wet nights :)

The sky's getting darker and darker and it feels thundery - the breeze has died. Not a nice evening. Nor for the next few days it seems but better weather is forecast for next week :hello2: We shall see.....

Yes its been pretty dire weather and it looks like its not going away to soon sigh. It wont be long before it clears up and then we can all look forward to some more practise. I spent the day out in the garden digging my plots for the peas was hoping for clear sky tonight but not to be. My poor old evostar ed80 is gathering dust in my room

It was pot luck mate I just post my images to there hotshots page and hope they like them any way its been out there enjoying the night sky that matters most and at the moment if I went out there I would get struck down 6 lightening strikes in the last 10minutes scary stuff..:hello2:

True about being under the stars that matters, getting a pic published is a nice little bonus though, I've got one wide field M51 that I'm not ashamed of:D I might Email it to them, something to do with all this bad weather:) Don't get any ideas of trying to do imaging in lightning I know you need your outside fix:D

Cheers Starfox I want another crack it it with my ed80 next time its clear its a great subject and makes a nice change from galaxys.:hello2:
I'm hoping to have another go at it "real soon now".................. or whenever!!

Yes looks like it might be a clear spell this evening with any luck. Might give it a go and try to get some more galaxy's, running out of ideas of what to image next.

Hiya Mark,

I have excel lists of every Northern Hemisphere constellations and interesting objects within them, (1500) complete with coordinates if your struggling. :):hello2:

Cracking image BTW.

and congrats on the S@N shot.

Mark

I'll Pm them when I get home tonight and to anybody else who wants them, or should I up load them to SGL? can you upload excel files to SGL?

computers!! there'll be the death of me. :0)

If you google drop box and sign up for it you can drop your files in there and then share them with us all on here by providing a link to the file in dropbox. Better still here is the URL address for dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com:hello2:

Tell me about it laptop crashed hard drive went kaput screen cracked files lost the list was endless after 3 days finally got it all sorted out but at one point felt like slinging it out the window:mad: that and this foul weather were having enough to drive you bonkers.

There is loads more mods now on the forums have not had to report much at all as everyone is doing such a good job keeping the forum running smoothly its nice to be able to give something back to stargazers lounge its such a helpful place.

Yes, I have to say, I've found folks here extremely helpful and very encouraging :hello2: I wouldn't have got anywhere near where I am now without all the help and encouragement I've had here. I think plenty of mods is probably a good idea with such an active board. This is such a friendly place and let's hope it stays that way :)

Archived