Narrowband

Saturn

robindurant

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin,

Nice photo. Thought I would give it a try. Both photos were taken with a C11 Edge, DFK31 and I used Registax with about 1000 frames for the one with the 2x barlow and 1500 frames for no barlow.

The 2x is on the left and the 1x is on the right. I had quite a lot of cloud to contend with so the atmosphere probably wasn't that stable.

post-23264-133877773724_thumb.jpg

post-23264-133877773728_thumb.jpg

Hi

I like your name, he he

Very nice images. With an 11" you will be able to take superb images but to do so you need perfect skies and viewing. If I try and I only use a 4", when the sky quality is not perfect I am wasting my time. I find the best time is after we have had rain, the sky is usually superb after. I look forward to seeing your results on a good night.

Robin

Hi Robin,

Thanks for post processing the image, it is a little better. I still haven't really got the hang of Registax or the required post processing, sometimes I process the same file several times and the results are massively different. Actually, the first one I do is usually the best.

My nickname is the result of a doctorate in microwave communications and I have just used the name ever since.

Hi Craig,

Both were taken with a C11 and DFK31.

The one on the left used a 2x barlow and was 1000 frames taken at 1/5 sec. I stacked about 600 frames. I then used Image Analyser to post process.

The one on the right was 1500 frames at 1/20 sec. I stacked about 1100 frames and IA to post process.

Both were stacked using Registax 6.

The one on the right is grainer since I had to enlarge it more (resample) and it seems to produce more noise. I pushed the colour a bit more in the one on the right, when I tried with the 2x it started going funny.

I don't think the focus was as good on the 2x, certainly the original AVI is not as distinct. I have bought a crayford style focuser to help as the SCT's are very sensitive and I get mirror shift to boot.

Hi,

Had a go a deep sky lastnight, but to get warmed up whilst I was waiting for dark skies I took this picture of Saturn with a C11 and DFK31. I didn't use a barlow and it is around 1200 frames from 1500 stacked in Reg6. The frame rate was 1/19 sec.

I think it is a little better than my previous efforts.

post-23264-133877777078_thumb.jpg

Hi Stuart,

Thanks, will give that a try. It was less than optimal last night, mist rolling in. I used around 820 gain, so could go a bit higher and get a faster frame rate. It was a bit of a fill in until it was properly dark......

Archived