Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

crayford slip?

Hi.

Sometimes crayfords have either one knurled thumbscrew and a grub screw, or two thumbscrews, both in the middle of the base of the crayford. Usually the tensioner is the one nearest the eyepiece end, directly over where the drive shaft runs.

Andy.

Agreed: it's unlikely to be broken. Crayfords don't have a rack and pinion and so work by tension. If the tension decreases then it will slip. You find the correct set screw, increase the tension, and all should be good once more.

In the past when I had a crayford with only one thumbscrew was the following.........

if the threads are the same, swap the grub and thumbscrew over. I rarely if ever use the lock screw, so to my mind it was a waste, sitting underneath doing nothing. This is especially handy if you swap from a heavy eyepiece/accessory to a light one. Using a tiny allen key at night is asking for it to be lost in the grass.

Andy.

Archived