Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Break In at the Astronomy Centre Todmorden

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a horrible thing to hear about, hoping your unique items show up and point the police in the direction of the idiots who did this. I feel for you- seems nothing is sacred any more.

Best wishes,

Vicky

PLEASE GUYS EVERYBODY STOP TELLING HIM THAT WELL KEEP A EYE OUT

WHEN YOU KNOW FULL WELL THEIR IS A 2-3% CHANCE HE,LL GET HIS STUFF

BACK THIS WAS A STEAL TO ORDER BREAK IN FULL STOP ITS SOMEONE WHO

WAS MAYBE THERE AND PAID SOME SCUM 500 POUNDS TO GET CERTAIN ITEMS

THAT WOULD OF COST HIM 10 GRAND IN A SHOP.

I'm sure that will make Peter feel a lot better......

And stop shouting!

One thing I cannot see on this thread is, was the gear insured???? At least if it was then there will be a chance of it being replaced. With it being a rather remote site some insurers wouldn't touch it or would require huge premiums and the building to be like Fort Knox and fully alarmed. It is a sad world we live in when it has come to this.

But there IS a chance and we shouldn't give up yet. I'm sure your shouting post has made Peter feel great, just what he needed to hear right now .... NOT. Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing......

I'm new to here but I'm keeping an eye on the used sites and eBay because there's always a chance and it let's Peter know there's a whole community who cares. Even if the items aren't found (I think they will either surface on a used items site or someone will spot somebody using them, it may take a while but I think it will happen, it only takes one item to be spotted) at least Peter knows he has support rather than people pretty much saying he's lost em and he ain't getting em back.

Ok dazzyd what should we say then? They may end up on the net

Put yourself in Peter's shoes, what would YOU like to see on here? Would you prefer to see -

A) We'll keep out eye out for you, we support you

or

:D You've lost your stuff, you've got no chance of getting them back and I'm going to SHOUT that at you

Hmmm, I know which one I'D like to see. At least if they surface on the web there's a chance of getting them back and that's what it's all about, keeping hopes up because there IS a chance :(

Put yourself in Peter's shoes, what would YOU like to see on here? Would you prefer to see -

A) We'll keep out eye out for you, we support you

or

:D You've lost your stuff, you've got no chance of getting them back and I'm going to SHOUT that at you

Hmmm, I know which one I'D like to see. At least if they surface on the web there's a chance of getting them back and that's what it's all about, keeping hopes up because there IS a chance :(

There is always a chance. Not even in the slightest ballpark here I know but I had something found in Toronto a couple of weeks ago and posted back to me. It had been stolen from me a year ago. So stuff does turn up. Like I said, not exactly in the same ball park but astro gear is big and heavy and not exactly easy to shift under the radar.

the more of us looking for it the better chance peter has of getting his stuff back people, us astronomers stick together and a all part of one big group. shame on you

There is always a chance. Not even in the slightest ballpark here I know but I had something found in Toronto a couple of weeks ago and posted back to me. It had been stolen from me a year ago. So stuff does turn up. Like I said, not exactly in the same ball park but astro gear is big and heavy and not exactly easy to shift under the radar.

Wow that is fantastic! It really makes you realise there is a lot of human kindness out there. It's like the scene in Dumb And Dumber - more like one in a million........ so you're saying there's a chance

ALWAYS a chance :(:):D

It might also be worth alerting retailers that take 2nd hand astro gear. Also folks should keep an eye/ear out for people who have suddenly acquired a fancy scope for a knockdown price.

Its unlikely that the gear will end up in the hands of some toothless scally/chav/smackhead (delete as appropriate) without an internet connection, sooner or later (probably later) a photo or a question will be posted by an unsuspecting newbie who has no idea that their gear is hot.

I was with Peter last night at the Astronomy centre,and i can tell you he is gutted. Make Peter happy again and keep a look out for his equipment.Ebay,Gumtree,Preloved,Local press, Car boot sales. If anybody out there knows where his equipment is,please do the right thing and return it to Peter a.s.a.p.

Archived