740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Atik camera software?

FLO

If you are near the scope during a long exposure and a cloud is heading your way, just slip the lens cap on and let the exposure finish normaly.

Excellent tip, first time ive heard that one.

I use 'artemis capure' for imaging.

I love the 'sequencer' feature so I can plan my imaging exposures in advance and they are saved without ticking the autosave box.

I tried 'dawn' but soon moved on to more robust software.

Not being Mac compatible rules out Atiks on Yves' setup opertating here because he is a Mac person. I like Atik cameras and software so I'm disappointed that they are excluded from consideration in this way. In their price range I put Atik ahead of all comers on cooling, software and reliability. I think if a camera is reliable for me, with my level of use, then it's reliable.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Mac Version, and I'll make someone really happy :-)

A first step and not so difficult one is getting the drivers for Nebulosity on Mac ...

Next step is the software, Olly would be ... I'll let him comment ...

Yves.

Mac Version, and I'll make someone really happy :-)

A first step and not so difficult one is getting the drivers for Nebulosity on Mac ...

Next step is the software, Olly would be ... I'll let him comment ...

Yves.

Nebulosity uses the ATIK drivers which, up till now, have been Windows only.

I've worked with ATIK under NDA to produce Mac drivers for AOSX. Naturally I can't speak for ATIK but I have working (imaging etc) 383L and Titan drivers. Next steps are completing testing and a few final points of the restructuring (ST4 guiding is untested atm) that occurred in the last month or so. Next up is integration into AOSX (OzDave has put a mass of work into this and I now need to match that) and away we go..

Why don't all the people who want a Mac driver make themselves known to the people who are working on the Mac drivers (albeit for their won use) and offer to test them...?

Best of both worlds...?

Ant

That's exactly what I've done with OzDave's EQMac and I know NickK is working on OS X compatibility with Atik camera's. Once things are advanced enough for users like me* to test I'll stick my hand up :hello2:

James

* You know the type - know enough to do real damage but not enough to be particularly useful :)

Usually testing would require a small app just to take images - nothing special, just simple and easy to use.. which I can write quite quickly :hello2:

Edited by NickK

Count me in for Mac testing - I have a 314l+ though not either of the cameras Nick is working on.

Why don't all the people who want a Mac driver make themselves known to the people who are working on the Mac drivers (albeit for their won use) and offer to test them...?

Best of both worlds...?

Ant

I'm baffled by Fatwoul's stretching experience. I'm quite certain that my saved FITS are linear and that, as Atik say, the stretch is screen-only. That's on my computers, of which there have been four running XP and Vista. Maybe something rum is going on somewhere?

Olly

Sorry for the delayed reaction, I completely missed your comment previously Olly. Must have been the red mist about Auto Stretch affecting my vision...

I wish it wasn't true, but so far it really has proved to be the case, with the three different XP machines that have run Artemis Capture at some point or other in my dome. I sent some of the files to Atik, for an explanation, but they never replied. ;)

AndyUK checked them out on DropBox ages ago, so they might still be on there if you'd like to see them, Olly.

I have only had Atik cameras for a few months but despite its other good features I gave up on Artemis and switched to Nebulosity. I'm using a 314L for imaging and a Titan for OAG through PHD, but Artemis frequently seized up - I think because of simultaneous downloading (I'm using a usb hub to a Windows 7 Samsung S3520 laptop). Nebulosity and PHD have the same author, and he has built in a command to pause PHD while Nebulosity is downloading. Had no problems with that.

Allan

...I'm using a 314L for imaging and a Titan for OAG through PHD...

Snap (well, until I recently sold my 314). Although I'm sure you feel the same way as I do, that the Titan is really too nice a camera to spend its life as a guidecam. I use mine for planet and moon stuff, too.

...Artemis frequently seized up - I think because of simultaneous downloading (I'm using a usb hub to a Windows 7 Samsung S3520 laptop)...

Are you using long USBs? I was forever having trouble with my Titan on the end of a 5m USB, so I changed over to an active USB extension (3m) and the cable that came with the camera (3m) and the problem went away.

I cannot for the life of me get both cameras to work on one computer at the same time, however. I have to use a netbook for guiding and the desktop for imaging. ;)

I'd like to give Artemis a go at guiding at some point, just for comparison.

...Nebulosity and PHD have the same author, and he has built in a command to pause PHD while Nebulosity is downloading. Had no problems with that.

Allan

I've recently had problems with PHD (crashing and wigging out), so I've switched to Maxim for the guiding.

1) I use Artemis Capture for imaging

2) Love the sequencer as I have the EFW2 so it means I can disappear inside for an hour or two for a warm and a brew

3) Somehow get the guiding working in Artemis, never once I have got this to work, it always says not enough movement no matter what settings I put in (even though I see the movement on screen), oh.. and Mac compatibility would be handy.

I currently use PHD for guiding but the camera sensitivity (Titan) seems much better in Artemis so would prefer to use that if possible.

Edited by davy999

• 2 years later...

OK, I know this is a long-dead thread, but it seemed like the right place, given that there is now a newer version of Artemis Capture.

Overall, it's an improvement - the histogram is useful.  But it now has several problems that are nothing short of infuriating:

1) The Display Options toolbar (the one with the histogram) jumps to the centre of the screen after every new exposure.  This makes it a pain to arrange the toolbars around the screen (why couldn't they just be top or side toolbars like in Maxim or Nebulosity??).  Furthermore, it makes it utterly impossible to run two copies of Artemis, as the two Display Options windows both jump to the centre of the same screen on top of each other!

2) There are some weird, glitchy things about the subframe cycle function - in the old version, you could select areas to image (crop) whilst exposures were being taken.  In this version, you can't do this.

I'd really like to know if this is the same for other people, because if its simply something I have accidentally set (don't know how I could have or why it would ever be useful to do so), I'd love to know how to unset it!  I've always got on with Artemis, and to be honest it was one of the major factors (besides price) in my selecting an Atik One 9.0 as my new camera, over the QSI alternative.  I know I have to make the move to Maxim or something one day, but I'd rather jump than be pushed :-(