Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hey everyone, need some newb help please.

Hey everyone!

My name is Sam and i have decided to take up Astronomy, and i ordered a Skywatcher Skyliner-150p 153MM (6") F/1200 Parabolic Dobsonian telescope. I am really excited to get it, but after reading a lot about it, 2x Barlow's sound like a 'must have'. I am just wondering, would all Barlows work with this scope? And if anyone knows a Barlow that would fit this scope and it £50 or less i would appreciate it. Thanks guys and cant wait to start! :)

a barlow is not a "must have" at all. use the scope for a bit before spending any more money. there are some other things you might decide are more "must have" eg collimator, red dot finder or right angled finder, woolly hat....

I completely agree with this. A barlow is a good adittion as it in theory halves the e.p.s you need but you should use your scope for a while first to decide what you want. I was only recomending a barlow that i've heard good reports on.:):)

If and when you decide to update your existing barlow, the TAL here would also be my choice and is reasonably priced. Two great red for finders (RDF) that I would recommend would be the Telrad here and the Rigel Quik Finder here although the latter would suit the size of the scope. Both are under £50 and good performers and together with your optical finder, will help you find objects very quickly.

James

Id go for a more powerful eye piece before a Barlow. Something between 5-8mm. As already mentioned, you're in NOOOO hurry! Get to grips with what you have first, you'll quickly figure out the next step!

Enjoy the scope.....pray for the drought to return! :)

funny thing - when I first got my scope the rush was to get magnification quickly but now I seem to spend most of my time in low powered E/Ps so as the guys have said I think the secret is to take your time- better still get along to a local observing group and meet some like minded people- astronomers are a pretty friendly bunch I've found and only too willing to help and make suggestions.

Good luck with your new scope - theres plenty of help to be had just ask.

Archived