Eye test

Stargazing_Cliff

Just been specsavers optitions get me eyes tested 26th april 2012 on 2 machines air blower and the photo of eye machine gosh the bright light from that photo machine.

been got mine done need to wear high prescription

Right eye sph +3.50 cyl +1.00 axis 90.0

and me left eye which has 2 small floaters now and again

Left eye sph +3.50 cyl +0.75 axis 85.0

Picking me glasses up next week may 4th 2012

could got contact lens i rather wear glasses.

cant wait to get them be better than wearing pound shop reading glasses. also probably get less headaches. mite see stars better when look up night sky.

How are you eye sights ?

compare visions :)

BTW the puffer machine is to test for intraocular pressure as a precursor for glaucoma and the photo machine is to check your retinal vessels and retina for problems. Eye testing is pretty high tech these days :)

So a bit of astigmatism which is quite common and nothing severe, although a 1-dioptre astigmatism ( the Cyl measurement ) is noticeable against modest Sph of +3.5 and you'll definately notice the prescription glasses being much sharper than off-the-shelf ones. Stars will appear as sharp points of light again.

I had a sph of -6 dioptres, so I could not see futher than the length of my nose, so went for laser (lasik) treatment about 7 years ago. Never looked back since.

i wear glasses but i have no idea what my measurements are. i have to take my glasses off when looking through my bins, i dont know if its going to be the same when i get my scope.

Are there EP's made for people who wear glasses ?

The problem with getting laser treatment, if you are myopic (short sighted), is that it may correct your vision for now, later in life you'll need reading glasses, which are a pain! (My wife can testify to this - always 'losing' them...). I'm lucky in a sense, that I am myopic and wear bifocals, so the 'reading' section of my glasses is always ready to hand. Or I can take them off altogether for close-up work.

Like the OP I am somewhat astigmatic, so I prefer to keep the glasses on for eyepiece work. E/Ps with good eye relief are a 'must'.

I've had so-so experience with Specsavers, btw. They are pretty much as good as any optician on the testing side (if they discover anything unusual or serious, they'll refer you on to an opthalmic surgeon of course), but the build quality of the lenses and frames is not up to the mark (and I've been wearing glasses for over 50 years, I know what I'm talking about!). OK so they're cheap, and they bombard you with all these 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 offers. I went to ("shouldn't have gone to...." :)) specsavers last time because my employers had an arrangement with them, but next time I'm going back to one of the independents. You'll pay a bit more but get far better service.

"You gets what you pays for"...

I need reading glasses for reading books after the surgery.

There isn't the data to tell yet what happens later in life, but it has certainly been worthwhile in the short-term.

I just got fed up dealing with the various highstreet opticians, everything was an extra. "Would you like to be able to see through your glasses sir? That's extra"

having worked with computers nearly all my (albeit short) life so far - i learnt to program on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum and then a BBC Micro in BASIC at the ripe old age of seven!! - my eyes have grown accustomed to focusing at close distance. I find that recently, with me now in my late 20's, i had trouble focussing at road signs until i was maybe 40 or 50ft away from them, and could barely make out the number plate of a car at 30ft!! Consequently, i took myself to the Military opticians (i'm proudly serving in the RAF) and they confirmed i needed glasses, and then shocked me further by saying i was mildly deuteranomalous (red/green colour deficient vision). anyway, i digress... off i popped to the pharmacy and they sorted out my specs - if i recall, my prescription is: Left: +0.75 Right: -1.25 with no signs of astigmatism in either eye.

I find i actually have to TAKE OFF my specs for most of my daily work and only use them for driving and out-and-about use. When using the scope/bins i find focussing much easier without them on, although for pin-sharp stargazing without the scope i've got to wear them...

BTW the puffer machine is to test for intraocular pressure as a precursor for glaucoma and the photo machine is to check your retinal vessels and retina for problems. Eye testing is pretty high tech these days :)

When went for me eye test today did the air puffing thing then went onto the that photo machine blindness of that flash into me eyes they done it couple times.

they are all high tech these days.

My results say cyl +0.75, axis 180, no prism for right eye, cyl +0.5, axis 180, no prism for left eye. I can't interpret the sphere value. It looks like p-squared or rho-squared.

I have some +1 glasses that I use for really fine work as focusing much closer than about 25cm is difficult now. I think when the time comes I shall have to go for a different design though. The fact that my peripheral vision extends beyond the lenses makes me feel queasy after a while.

James

i wear glasses but i have no idea what my measurements are. i have to take my glasses off when looking through my bins, i dont know if its going to be the same when i get my scope.

Are there EP's made for people who wear glasses ?

Do you roll down the eye cups on your bins? If not, you should do!

I wear varifocals (not from specsavers) and manage my bins, Kowa 664 spotting scope and my astronomy scopes with my glasses on! If your glasses are fitted correctly with correct pupil measurement you should have no problems.

Astigmatism when using a telescope is more of a problem than a simple spherical correction. It is possible to overcome spherical correction with the focussing on the scope, but with astigmatism, the best you can get is the "circle of least confusion". I have a 0.75D of astigmatism, and without my specs I always see objects with a "wing" either side, which makes it look as if the scope is out of collimation. Put my specs on and I get a proper circle.

Scuffer, you should not use your reading specs, there's no need since all they do is correct you for close distance. If you have sufficient astigmatic correction that they make a difference, then you should be wearing specs for driving also!

Just in case you wonder where my info comes from, I'm a qualified and much experienced Dispensing Optician.

By the way, I would NEVER go to Specsavers!!!!

The problem with getting laser treatment, if you are myopic (short sighted), is that it may correct your vision for now, later in life you'll need reading glasses, which are a pain!

No.

The reading glasses later in life are a result of natural aging. Nothing to do with laser corrective surgery.

The necessity for reading glasses as you get older is normally due to the eye's internal lens becoming less 'squashy' so the eye's own focus mechanism isn't so effective. Whether you've had refractive laser surgery or not, this happens to most people regardless.

Good point from Fluxgate: eyepieces with large eye relief are particularly valuable if you wear specs and have a noticeable cyl in the prescription, so your specs are required for correcting astigmatism as well as short/long sight ; since re-focusing your eyepiece will only compensate in the 'Sph' part of your spectacle prescription.

I previously wore glasses (myopic) but got fed up with the constant on and off for observing. plus I like orthos. I have been on contact lenses for a couple of years and really like them. I put them in, wear them, sleep in them and take them out again and bin them 30 days later. like having none in - no solutions etc and only occasional 'bits' in the eyes creating issues.

I'm -2.5 is both eyes.

My eyes don't water enough, for semi permament contact.

Really want to save for laser. But saying that, when feeling a bit iffy, taking glasses off, so nothing is in focus helps me to feel better ...............

For me, I have 0.75 astigmatism at almost the same angle in both eyes, and 0.5 shortsighted in both. Because both eyes are the same, I wasn't really aware of the issue until I was finishing college and spending a lot (~16-18hrs/day) staring at a monitor and wondering why the red text was floating in front of and offset from the green background. First pair of glasses went on and life was pin-sharp. Previously I could split epsilon lyra but with difficulty, now I can split more easily if it's dark enough to see them.

I can see the astigmatism at an exit pupil of ~2mm and greater so for high magnification I'm fine. Large exit pupils are enough that I get quite tired from continually focusing through the circle of least confusion all the time.

I wear daily contacts if I know I'll be out for a while looking up but after 5 or 6 hours with contacts in, my eyes feel sandy and dry (my tear production is poor apparently) and I have to take the contacts out.

My recent acquisition of a PST has shown me that I need to make another appointment with the eye doc, as I can see little patches in my left eye very close to my fovea that are obvioius when illumination on the area changes depending on the angle of incident light on them (when the eyepiece is slightly off centre to my pupil centre) and I'm pedantic about stuff like that..

I'll get myself a pair of cheap astro-specific glasses with a slightly stronger sphere for when I have dark adapted eyes, ~€30 with all the coatings from zunni-optical.

Now I am a lot more aware of the deficiencies in my eyesight, I can more easily monitor for changes. So far in a decade I have gotten 0.25 more shortsighted and no change to the astigmatism so stable enough at the moment. I will not be going for laser surgery anytime soo, though I would contemplate an implant that could do a full wavefront correction - that'd be nice.

I wear glasses, I can barely see anything without them. My husband wears them too but we have to refocus the telescope when we look through it. However if our kids look through it focussing for my husband is fine, it's just not for me. So I'm the pain and I usually have to look last so things only have to be refocussed once!

+2.00 in left, +0.75 in right. The left is rugby ball shaped with some issues that will need treatment later on in life (too young at the mo). Somehow the brain manages to cope with such a discrepancy...:hello2:

I've got reading glasses that I only wear when tired.

Archived