548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

guiding standard heq5

Casperovic

Hi all last week I bought basic heq5 mount without synscan or syntrek , I'm recently trying to sort out the guiding part using only standard hand controler, on my previous mount eq3-2 I did it easily by buying eqdir and downloading eqmod . So from what I now the only one way to connect basic heq5 to my laptop is to do simple gpusb (rj12 to USB) adapter and connect it to the hand controller following the instruction from shoestring . Am right ? anybody did that and can confirm its actually working ? And does that still let me to use eqmod and CDC software? I've got so many questions and I hope to get some answers :-)

Casper

You're correct that the only way to guide is to go the guideport mod and use a USB guider. This is what I did with mine before I purchased the Synscan upgrade kit.

You can't however use anything like EQMod as the mount is still "dumb" : it doesn't have the innards to work with it. You will need to push to your target, then set off the guiding.

Sorry about that I must click on the wrong section ;-)

Thank you for you help , I'm glad it was working for you, so now I'm just waiting for all the parts to build simplegpusb adapter :-) m going to upgrad my mount to synscan in the future,but for now that will be brilliant solution ..and cheap!

Thanks again for you help .

Regards

Casper

So does that mean that I cannot use my soon to arrive QHY5 with ST4 cable direct on my HEQ5 mount with the controller? I assumed I could plug the ST4 cable into the socket for it on the mount, and the USB cable in the laptop to run the guiding software. Actually, have I just answered my own question. The laptop does not know where the scope is pointing does it?

So does that mean that I cannot use my soon to arrive QHY5 with ST4 cable direct on my HEQ5 mount with the controller? I assumed I could plug the ST4 cable into the socket for it on the mount, and the USB cable in the laptop to run the guiding software. Actually, have I just answered my own question. The laptop does not know where the scope is pointing does it?

If your mount has a ST4 socket then you can use it. However, not all HEQ5 has it. There was a thread a few weeks ago about a member who plugged a guide cam into the hand controller port and fried either the guide cam or the mount.

If you have a QHY5 (or other camera with ST4 out) you can plug it into a modified HEQ5 (Basic) hand controller.

If you do not have an ST4 out on your guide camera (as I thought the OP was implying) then you need to run via a USB guider.

If you have a Synscan, this conversation is mute as we are discussing the basic version of the mount :)

Edited by Stephen