SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Getting the Camera Temperature from the EXIF Data

Kbramley

Well its cloudy again and shall be for the immediate future, thus I spent a bit of time playing around with some RAW files I had, I discovered an interesting feature of RAW files, it appears my Canon 450D records the camera temperature in the EXIF information, however it is well hidden and I don't believe you can get to it using the standard window file properties or in PS etc.

However the following two free tools allow you to delve into the goldmine of information that is the EXIF data in your images, may prove useful for making sure your Darks are all at the correct temp etc....

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

command line EXIF tool, BUT also get this which adds a nice GUI for it (ps make sure you read the instructions :) )

ExifTool GUI

Open your RAW file in the EXIFTool GUI and select Maker from the options on the right, then scroll 3rd of the way down and find CameraTemperature

I was surprised to see how the temperature in my darks can vary, particularly if I have to take lots of 2-3min exposures.

This may be common knowledge already but its news to me and will certainly help :)

Clear Skies

• 6 years later...

Archived