70mm v 130mm

Hi currently using a. Bresser. Skylux 70 mm and have been thinking of upgrading. is a sky watcher 130 p a big enough upgrade over the Bresser.

I already have a couple of gso. Plossls

the 130p is a very nice scope, i had the pleasure of looking though the DOB version last week we were able to see venus quite nicely at dusk (had to pack up before astro darkness though)

and with the eyepeices already.......

does your budget allow a 6" 150p? that might be a bigger jump and does let you get into the decent nebular areas

Hi Ado I have the a Bresser 70mm as well (brilliant scope) and I've just bought a 130mm celestron. I have to say the difference is not that great, by that I mean it was no bigger however when viewing Saturn last night the image was much brighter so im hoping when I get the webcam on it I should be able to pick out more detail. Also I managed to see one of Saturn's moons which I was not able to with the 70mm. I am a newbie but im really pleased with the 130mm so far. Im keeping the Bresser though as it's much lighter and easier to move around (no heavy counterweights).

I've been offered a 130p md with red dot, 4 Plossls and 2 x Barlow for 130 only used a few times by a friend .what do you think .

I was going to wait and get the 150 As suggested but this offer came up.

Get what you truly want. The general advice is get the largest you can afford/manage. Your friend is offering a good deal, but if you have room in your life for a 150, you should probably go for that. The views will be better, and you won't be left wondering "what if...".

A 130P md? Has it been fitted with an accessory motor drive or is it a 130M? One is a 900mm focal length tube with a spherical mirror and the the 130P has a 650mm focal length with a parabolic mirror. They are both good scopes but it helps to know which one it is.

Update its a 130p as stated with single axis drive corrector remote x2 and x4 speed .

Not totally sure what that is sounds like a good deal though what do you think .

Well basically, it boils down to a 130p that tracks objects via an eq mount, or a 150p on a dob mount. Having used both eq and dob mounts i personally prefer a rock solid dob mount, though i can see how a motorised eq would be nice.

Do you intend to try astrophotography or are you purely a visual guy?

For ap, the 130 would probably be a better basic starter, for visual, you cant beat a dob on bang for buck.

It's not a bad price for what you're getting unless the EPs are budget stuff that will need replacing but I have seen standard 130Ps go for between £75 and £150(which is nuts) on ebay etc, so make your own mind up on that one. Always helps when you know the scope history too.

I had the 130pm which is what you're talking about and enjoyed it. But the mount is a hassle to set up and takes a bit of practice to wok out which knob you need to twist. I then went to a dob and love it. Even my wife can work it and find stuff.

Personally if you can I'd go for the 150 dob. The mount means you can just plop the scope outside and observe when its cooled. The eq1 mount with the 130 has to be balanced and polar aligned and then the motor is okay but no where near astro photography standard. The tripod is also a bit more shakey.

all that said the 130 gave me great views and I really learning the sky a bit more.

Brian

Hi, IMHO

If you have any light pollution I would say wait save up a bit more and get a 150p or 200 P Dob we are going in to summer and you will not be desprate for a scope as you already have one so hang on and get one in July for the September skies

clear skies

Archived