Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Kai

At last a Image (Of sorts)

Well its been a awfully long time since my Atik saw the dark of night.What with all the weather,cloudy nights,work,kids etc etc :(

Tonight i got home around 9pm and thought the sky was okay for a quick play before the moon rose too high.Also a chance to try out the new Pier.

Well this is not a good image by any standard BUT i was looking at how long i can image unguided before the stars start to trail.

So heres a cropped M57 taken at F10 through my Sct.Only 14 mins,But its a start for now

853_thumbnail.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I now know that i can go for at least 1 min with no trails (on the tripod i could manage 45 secs) and the next clear night i will see how far i can go.

Nice one.

1 min unguided is good :(, I am lucky to get 30 sec's with my "none skyscan" eq6.

I have had another play this morning and have gone for the uncropped image

857_thumbnail.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

A little better i think :(

Now i know that the Pier is fine :) and the scope is being used as a scope and not a book stand i am ready to have a proper go tonight if conditions allow. :lol:

Actually Kai,

I have to say that getting on for a minute at that focal length is pretty good going. Nice one!

Anthony

The cropped version won't enlarge. :lol: All I get is a page of 'Greek' letters!

The other one is fine and when subject to auto levels and contrast the result is a pretty good likeness to an eye piece view. I like that a lot. :)

Are the dreaded 'dust bunnies' attacking from 1 & 5 o'clock in the frame? :(

Cheers

CW

Are the dreaded 'dust bunnies' attacking from 1 & 5 o'clock in the frame? :)

Yup :(

I have just wire wooled off the offending articles :salute: :lol:

Last night was not about getting a decent image (scope was out of the box and on the mount imaging within 10 mins) just making sure that the new pier / plates and mount was set up :lol:

It seems like they were so its the next step.

Your right about the view through the eyepiece though,it was similar to mine.

That's an amazing performance from the HEQ5 Kai. 1 min at 2000mm f/l is really going some

Errrr really Martin. (it is a 14 frame stack in DSS)

I was either very lucky or i was very very lucky then as its the quickest i think i have set up.Now i am kicking my self that i didnt reduce it to F6.3 :(

Hope fully it bodes well for later this year.

Are the dreaded 'dust bunnies' attacking from 1 & 5 o'clock in the frame? :)

Yup :(

I have just wire wooled off the offending articles :salute: :lol:

Last night was not about getting a decent image (scope was out of the box and on the mount imaging within 10 mins) just making sure that the new pier / plates and mount was set up :lol:

Well done that man! Although I find old fashioned scouring powder works for me. :lol:

10 min's! :shock: Are you, by chance, in training for the UK all comers, Set Up & Imaging Championship?

Nice stuff Kai, and I must add that I find all this fascinating.

Now that I have the goto and tracking (not guiding), presumably an SC1 mod to the Toucam would allow me to capture some sub one minute faint stuff too?