Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Weather proof?

Hi all, this might sound like a silly question but if i put the scope out in the garden to cool and don't notice the rain starting (the weather cant make up its mind round here at the moment!) will it cause any damage? Its a skywatcher 200p eq5, no electrics. :D

If you get rain water on the primary you may find all manner of marks on it after it's dried out.

They won't "break" it, but it's far from ideal.

Honestly, keep an eye on it. If it's going to rain, cover it or bring it in :D

Maybe buy a cheapy shower curtain to chuck over the top of it when you put it out? It'll still cool down I would think but will be somewhat weather proof.

Anyway try/do this?

Also point to tube downwards so no water goes inside?

I too was wondering what people did to protect 'scopes from a downpour, particularly as they're left to the mercy of the elements for some time. The bin liner/tarp approach is definitely the way, but...does anyone anchor it should the wind get up? I would be mortified if I last saw my scope (intact) floating past the window... :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived