Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
froggy

NGC 7635 My First Narrow Band Image

Last night was a full moon so I tried my hand at narrow band imaging. I am not sure the colour result is correct but I don't know what to expect. Any idea what I should be looking for in the colour area.

100mm Apo with ART 285 mounted on an EQ6.

Ha = 21 Subs of 10 minutes.

OIII = 9 Subs of 10 minutes

SII = 14 Subs of 10 Minutes

All the subs were taken over 2 nights.

Thank you for looking.

Vince

post-13500-133877329609_thumb.jpg

Stunning image Froggy. The OIII and SII really add something to the image. What colours did you allocate to the bands?

I've dabbled a bit with narrow band and read a lot about it so I'll give you the benefit of my ignorance. The hubble colour selection is SII red Ha green and OIII blue. This keeps the electromagnetic energy levels in the right order (although I can't see that that matters). You have to really crank up the SII to get it to show through the Ha. You can do this using maxim - something like SII:OIII:Ha 6:4:1 but it all depends on the target. I have found it easier to do levels and curves for each individual band and then combining. It is also worthwhile doing an unstretched combine, strecthing and creating a star layer which can subsequently be added to the image using a lighten blend mode otherwise the star colour is dominated by the band which has been stretched the most i.e. SII.

You're going to have hours of cloudy night fun with this one!

Nice going Vince, a 'cracking' shot.

The colour seems fine to me, if perhaps a little too strong (saturated).

Dave

The bubble looks ready to burst - lovely detail, perhaps a little too saturated but then this is a colourful object after all!