Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My First Ha Image - The Pelican Nebula

steppenwolf

A fairly clear sky tonight but, of course, a very bright Moon to spoil my DSO fun! However, this was a perfect opportunity to try my Hydrogen Alpha (Ha) filter for the first time. The Pelican (IC5070) in Cygnus was well placed for this first attempt so that was the target. The first image is standard Ha, the second is a false colour version of the same data. 17 X 200 second subs using my SXVF-H9C and 200mm focal length telephoto lens at F2.8

pelican_ha_300707_l.jpg

pelican_ha_300707_false.jpg

Absolutely!

How are you fitting your SXVF-H9C to a camera lens?

I designed a special adapter with a male 'T' at one end and a Canon female bayonet at the other complete with an internal filter holder. Full details in this article on my website:- http://home2.btconnect.com/astro-site/canon_eos_lens_adapter.htm

You 'caught the bird' very nicely indeed there Steve.

Very well 'framed', and as Helen says, it does indeed look like a Pelican, with even his beady eye being very promiment :(

A great 'first attempt', with the Ha filter, and a great result to go with it!!

Dave

Great wide field with some lovely detail, a tad clipped maybe? Good work on the adaptor

I'm confused now :? If you were using a one shot colour camera then why is the Ha false colour? Do you use a monochrome mode or something. Presumably only the red pixels will be picking anything up

Hi Martin,

I am assuming that by 'clipped' you mean a stark contrast between black background and brighter object?

I'll explain the confusion! The image was taken with my single shot colour CCD and I converted the Maxim raw FITS file to RGB 'colour' to resolve the Bayer matrix. I then converted the RGB image to monochrome and this is the first image.

For the second image, I converted the grayscale image to RGB and 'colourised' it in PhotoShop using the saturation tools. This gave essentially the same effect as Noel Carboni's 'B&W -> Ha False Colour Black Space' action which I actually used for the image displayed here as although the nebulosity came out the same using either method, Noel's action stopped the smaller stars from turning red!

I'm looking on a fairly cruddy monitor at work which doesn't help but there is quite a harsh cut off.

So is the RGB converted maxim raw FIT image red? As you will see, I am totally clueless when it comes to one shot colour cameras!

So is the RGB converted maxim raw FIT image red?

Aha! No it isn't red because the image was binned 2 X 2 which I have just realised, kills the Bayer Matrix coding........ BUT I am really, really pleased that you have asked the question because I think I have processed this all wrong because there was no real matrix left in the data!! I have re-done the images in what I feel may be the correct manner assuming that there was no Bayer Matrix left and that I already had a true monochrome image so there was no need to convert to RGB and then to mono:-

The first image, purely for reference is the data after I have (erroneously ?) applied the conversion to RGB:-

pelican_300707_rgb.jpg

The second image is just the FITS file saved as a .jpg and the third image is the second image with false colour:-

pelican_ha_300707_l_2.jpg

pelican_ha_300707_false_2.jpg

It looks a more natural image and the stars are much tighter

Thanks, Martin and I agree this does look better. The more 'bloated' stars are probably an artifact of the erroneous conversion to RGB. Strange how a simple question can lead to a realisation that a whole process was flawed! Thanks again for asking .......

[anorak mode]

As a matter of interesting research I will image this area again with binning 1 X 1 to preserve the matrix and I'll post what happens when I convert to RGB :(

[/anorak mode]

That's the first time I've actually seen the Pelican resemblance :shock:

Ha! Me too. It was pointed out recently but I didn't really get it I am ashamed to say - but now I see the light.

Nice one

Anthony

Archived