Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does anybody know anything about Anatares 90mm short tube refractor?

tenbyfifty

One of the guys from the forum is testing out the Antares Sentinel 80mm f6 semi-apo refractor kit found on the scopesnskies site this weekend. Hopefully his results may be relevent to the quality of the 90mm Antares scope your are interested in. If that is the type of scope you are looking to buy, then I am told that the Skywatcher StarTravel 80mm is a good scope (http://www.modernastronomy.com/startravel.html) in fact, I have one on it's way to me that I brought from a member of this forum.

Hope this helps a little, lots more advice will be added to this thread by people alot more experienced than me :clouds1:

Its all packed and ready to go on Monday Grant!!

The Antares scope should/will have more in common with the ST80 than the 'semi-apo' that Antares are selling. It should show slightly more but will have more false colour (all other things being equal)

Seems a good deal for £99, shame they don't do a 100mm for £130 or so, theres a lot a 4" scope will show well that smaller scopes won't.

Gaz

Thanks for the replies guys.

Any chance you can let me know how you get on with the ST80 Gaz? These

small scopes seem like poor value if you compare them with reflectors but if you compare them with 80mm bins they are a steal -

plus you can avoid neck ache from hell that you can't avoid with bins unless you're on your back.

I'd be interested to know how easy/comfortable these things are to use if they are just tripod mounted.

Tenbyfifty.

One of the guys from the forum is testing out the Antares Sentinel 80mm f6 semi-apo refractor kit found on the scopesnskies site this weekend. Hopefully his results may be relevent to the quality of the 90mm Antares scope your are interested in.

The Antares Sentinal 80 is one of several versions of this scope; the one I have to test is badged as a Revelation 80 and is supplied with a 2" diagonal and case:

http://tinyurl.com/cumyk

Steve

Found this post on CL

" sell them so take my comment with the proverbial 20 kilo bag of rock salt.

- better quality overall than anything from Synta in either 80 or 90mm, short tube that is, in both optics and mechanics.

-easily surpased in quality, both otpics and mechanics, by 80mm scopes such as th eExpress 80/Sentinel 80, etc;

- there is a nice crayford focuser upgrade, however the cost of the upgrade essentially doubles the OTA. I dunno, I just think it's weird when a focuser is worth just as much as an entire optical tube, but there you go.

So i fyou are looking for an alternative to the 80mm, F5 Chinese short tube, go for it, but as an alternative interms of performance ot the Sentinel/Express 80, no.

Archived