Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

south wales newbie

tenbyfifty

Hi folks

My name's Terry from Cardiff in south wales. After a few months of misty patch hunting with my helios 10x50s I think

I'm ready for something a tad more powerful. I've considered many options and realised that quality,power and portablity

are hard to combine unless you've got loads of cash to spend on televue and takahashi. However , something is  better

than nothing and I've recently found this site scopesnskies.com which sell an Anatares 90mm short tube refractor for £100.!!!!!!!

Does anybody know anything about these scopes. Surely the y can't be that good for this price?

What d'ya reckon guys?

Cheers.

Welcome to the forums Terry! There are alot of experienced people here who will be able to help you answer your questions, unfortunately it may be a little quiet until Monday as alot of the most active users are currently on a starparty in North Wales!

Enjoy your stay!

Hi Terry,

Welcome aboard. 

I haven't seen the Antares scope but judging by its price/spec I would guess it'd be a good grab-and-go scope best suited to clusters and wide-field/low power views. 

Being a short-tube achromat you can expect false colour (typically magenta/cyan) fringing on planets and the moon (that seems to bother some people more than others).  Consider also the 80 or 102mm Skywatchers and if possible, go to a dealer with a showroom where you can try them for size/weight/performance before you buy. 

I look forward to reading your posts,

Steve :clouds1:

Archived