Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pelican Nebula Second Light

earlybird

Played aroung with the guiding and it seemed to work ok.

ED80 and 6.3 FR. ATIK 16HR and HA filter.

10X 3 mins guided with WO66 and DSI on EQ6Pro

A little tinkering with Noel's actions this time.

Don't really know what I am doing on the processing side.

Maybe able to get out again tonight.

Regards

John

post-13094-133877329587_thumb.jpg

post-13094-133877329598_thumb.jpg

Yes, unbinned again Rog, as I don't know when to binn or not.

I was dying to try the HA filter and with the moon out last night went for objects towards the North.

Yes, I think at least double the subs would have been better.

If I had the knowledge, a lot more could be pulled out of this one.

Well it's all a learning process.

Regards

John

That's starting to show up well John. The Ha does cut out a lot of light (that's what it's supposed to do!) so exposure times go up a lot. the big star suggests some miscollimation which is likely to be due the the alignment of the focal reducer, worth checking that it's nice and snug.

Coming on in leaps and bounds John. For getting used to the kit I'd go 2X binned as the exposures will be much deeper than if you do unbinned. I used 10 minutes for my recent Pelican and that wasn't nearly enough to get the chip saturated unbinned. I'd expect that 20 minutes would be doable unbinned so I lost a lot of detail by having the subs too short. Yours at 3 minutes mean that you aren't using much of the 16 bit range of the camera as all the data is scrunched up at the dark end.

Glad you're getting some use out of the camera and getting good results. I've been burning the candle at both ends and in the middle work wise so I've not even seen your stuff until now. Another early start tomorrow so thats another missed opportunity as well. Nice to see somebodys looking up at night.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Very nice effort indeed John.

You are doing well on the learning curve, and you know what they say about practice.

Of course we need long periods of clear skies to operate that system. :(

Ron.

Coming on in leaps and bounds John. For getting used to the kit I'd go 2X binned as the exposures will be much deeper than if you do unbinned. I used 10 minutes for my recent Pelican and that wasn't nearly enough to get the chip saturated unbinned. I'd expect that 20 minutes would be doable unbinned so I lost a lot of detail by having the subs too short. Yours at 3 minutes mean that you aren't using much of the 16 bit range of the camera as all the data is scrunched up at the dark end.

Glad you're getting some use out of the camera and getting good results. I've been burning the candle at both ends and in the middle work wise so I've not even seen your stuff until now. Another early start tomorrow so thats another missed opportunity as well. Nice to see somebodys looking up at night.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Many thanks for the remarks.

Your's and Rog pictures was the main reason in me upgrading from the DSI pro, which I never had any good results from, but is proving a very good guide cam using Maxim.

Been burning the candle at both ends and little time to digest everything.

Will read more on binning and take your reccomendations on board.

Was out again last night andf a couple of pics to follow when processed.

Regards

John

Archived