and a souped up C-11 edge hd is 4300 euro it still only has one

mirror how can the ask for that money do they know about a thing

called the recession.:)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol

I'm afraid you get what you pay for!

I have a C8 Edge HD and it.knocks socks off it's C8 equivalent, it's got a bit more to it than a bit of Soup, it comes with a Main Course & Desert!

Mark

Why the rant?

Just don't bother buying one.

See, it's simple. You don't pay out for something you think is too expensive.

edge hd six months ago = 2700 euro

today edge hd = 4300 euro = rip off ********

if they can sell it for 2700 that means they were still making

money even then selling it for 2700 euro now their going to

really get into trouble by the astro-tech/gso 10 inch RC for 2000 euro.

AGGHHHHHHH RANT OVER

This is the problem... getting a scope to say 90% of perfection is fairly cost effective.

Getting an additional 5% to 95% cost A LOT of time and effort... hence the price!

Ant

No wonder UK prices are so high for everything. As soon as anyone comments on price being too high, the "You get what you pay for" brigade are out in force saying everything's fine!:)

How about a 10" RC, admittedly tube only, for £1650?

GSO 10' F/8 Ritchey-Chretien - 203/1624mm RC - Quarz Mirror

Can't be any good can it? Would be OK for £4000 though?

I knew someone woud one day break the price mould for RCs.

For £4.3K, it would be nice if they include a optic test report, but they don't, probably because they just use regular SCT optics in the EdgeHD and fitted it with a matched corrector. Still, if you need the flat field, then it's probably worth it.

It does seems a bit expensive when the 12" Meade ACF OTA cost £2.6k.

Well, the Edge is flat, that's for sure. Nowadays there are good reducers (Optec Lepus, for one). It is also optically very good.

If you are to use it with a Hyperstar all the time, the standard version is better, but if you want a flat field all the way up to full focal length, it's the Edge.

You buy it once and then you're satisfied. The next step up is so expensive that trading the Edge in makes no difference. Planewave CDK 17 anyone? :D

/p

The Celestron Edge scopes leave me baffled. What are they supposed to do? Image at F10? Excuse me?? So now we have the focal reducer (a few years late) and we don't know its image circle, or we didn't when I last tried to find out. If it were of a decent size I think they'd be shouting about it. Yes, if you want to go Hyperstar then it has something to say and I've seen Per's in action. Impressive. But at native or at around F7 it would be the understatement of the year to say that it had rivals. There are a number of scopes that will kick it into next week.

Olly

I purchased an EdgeHD 9.25 just over a year ago.

In my opinion it is a wonderful telescope and has really inspired my love of astronomy.

I am very much a beginner to astrophotography but I am astonished at some of the photos this thing has produced for me :D

post-31313-133877766173_thumb.jpg

Actually it's going from about 97% light passing to 99%. This requires more extravagant coatings, thinner and more exotic metals. Is it worth the increase price over the older Star Bright or others? Only you can say. As for the increase over time in their price for the same model - the economy has gone south and they want to continue to survive with less sales but neat the same overhead so increased price due to material increase, shipping increase and overhead costs.

I purchased an EdgeHD 9.25 just over a year ago.

In my opinion it is a wonderful telescope and has really inspired my love of astronomy.

I am very much a beginner to astrophotography but I am astonished at some of the photos this thing has produced for me :D

It is a good telescope and I wouldn't want to give the impression that I thought otherwise, because it has its virtures. However, nothing in the world is going to get me into deep sky imaging at F10 - that is just a non starter in my book - and we have little information about the reducer other than its very high price. Has anyone found the image circle yet? The other issue is the moving mirror focuser. Serious imagers will not want that.

My bafflement arises from why Celestron would launch a dedicated astrographic telescope in such an incomplete form. It appeared with an absurd focal ratio, no focal reducer and an inappropriate focuser. I find it reprehensible that their advertizing was intended to tempt beginners into buying this as an astrograph when, in its basic form, it simply isn't. (As someone who runs imaging courses I know that lots of beginners haven't taken on board the need for a fast f ratio.)

With reducer and flattener this scope is going to cost over £5K. This is getting into ODK12 country and is dearer than an ODK10. These are real astrographs working at F6.8 and giving huge flat fields. There is also the Ian King truss RC using GSO optics in a decent structure. Alternatively there are shorter FL astrographs like the Tak FSQ, the OO AO series, the Takahshi Epsilon and so on with very fast F ratios, excellent engineering and proven results. If you have £5K to spend on an astrograph you have lots of chioce.

Olly

PS What's in a digit? On the back cover of Astronomy Now, Telescope House say that prices for the six inch Lunt start at £1,150. Now that IS a bargain!!!

Anyone who wants a C11 Edge would be daft buying one that made it into the UK via the official UK importer. If you buy it and import yourself via official US channels, even after paying shipping, VAT and other duties, you'll save £1000. Enough to go over there, inspect it, buy it yourself have a brief holiday and bring it back in hand luggage.

I'm not sure if Celestron are ripping off the importer or the importer is ripping of the distributors, but someone is making quick and easy with the profit margin.

Archived