Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First M51 with cooled 1100D

Gina

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you cool your whole camera or just the sensor? I definitely seem to have had condensation last night at -7C but it seem fine tonight at -3C. I was going to set the temperature on freezing but it seems OK at -3 so sobeit. I'm running the TEC on just 4v (-33% of full voltage).

I cool the whole camera Gina, no regulation so just as cold as I can get it, I have 'summer' and 'winter' dark libraries and just scale them in DSS if the temperature's a bit off.

I get dewing a lot earlier (if I don't heat) on my newt compared to the ZS80 due to the coma corrector being more exposed to the elements. Anything under 5C results in a massive difference in noise on my 450D and below 11C the horizontal banding noise that plagued me disappears completely. I'd be very happy if I could run at 4v and get sub zero temps :)

How are you finding condensation on the camera body, I know you're mainly cooling the sensor but does the body attract more condensation?

I find guiding very tedious specialy if conditions are not perfect in fact I wont do it any more unless they are. It takes so long to set it up and one stinky cloud and your guide star is lost. Not to mention phd being iffy or dew foggin up the finder scope or thin cloud fog or mist, no conditions must be perfect or I wont do it.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

I cool the whole camera Gina, no regulation so just as cold as I can get it, I have 'summer' and 'winter' dark libraries and just scale them in DSS if the temperature's a bit off.

I get dewing a lot earlier (if I don't heat) on my newt compared to the ZS80 due to the coma corrector being more exposed to the elements. Anything under 5C results in a massive difference in noise on my 450D and below 11C the horizontal banding noise that plagued me disappears completely. I'd be very happy if I could run at 4v and get sub zero temps :)

How are you finding condensation on the camera body, I know you're mainly cooling the sensor but does the body attract more condensation?

I haven't found any condensation on the camera body. I think dampness near the camera may get attracted to the exposed part of the cold finger where it freezes.

All worth while stuff collecting darks for your library of darks:)
Yes, very true :) Now have 20 darks at around -3 or -4C. When I packed up last night I set up to take 55 darks but the camera battery ran out after 13.

I find guiding very tedious specialy if conditions are not perfect in fact I wont do it any more unless they are. It takes so long to set it up and one stinky cloud and your guide star is lost. Not to mention phd being iffy or dew foggin up the finder scope or thin cloud fog or mist, no conditions must be perfect or I wont do it.

It does seem that guiding is rather iffy :) Next time we get a clear night I'm doing a drift alignment - I know my PA is a bit off. I don't think that helps - the less the guiding has to do the better I would think.

Have run DSS on last nights images. DSS chose 8 lights out of 10, 20 darks, no flats. Needs more lights IMO.

1. Full frame, converted to JPEG and scaled for here otherwise no processing.
  2. Stretched, cropped and scaled in GIMP.

post-25795-133877765924_thumb.jpg

post-25795-133877765933_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark :D I feel very tempted to try some of the other galaxies around but I think my best line of attack is to use M51 to improve my setup and techniques. I know where it is and how to get lined up on it. Anyway, I know there's more I can get out of these galaxies once I can get a clear run at it without loosing guiding or whatever. I can take more darks while PHD does it's calibration but the time it takes is certainly a bit of a pain.

Looking great Gina I think sticking with m51 is really paying off. M81-82 would be a good one next there really nice or the needle galaxy is also a great galaxy if you get a chance try the sombrero galaxy its rather special and will be leaving us soon.

Looking great Gina I think sticking with m51 is really paying off. M81-82 would be a good one next there really nice or the needle galaxy is also a great galaxy if you get a chance try the sombrero galaxy its rather special and will be leaving us soon.

A little while ago I read a post about a very easy drift alignment method. You pointed the scope at a star due south near the horizon, set up a long exposure and set EQASCOM to slew very slowly one way and then the other. Now I can't find it. I thought I'd saved it but seems not. Anyone point me in the right direction? Please? I remember the basic principles but not the details.

I think I'll just find a bright star roughly south and a few degrees above the horizon. Set APT to live view and put the star in the middle of the reticle and watch which way it drifts. Then adjust az and try again. Once I've got az about right I can do the alt adjustment using an easterly star. At least I think that's right :D

Did the drift alignment - the az was a little out. Now on a lights run on M51. Changed some parameters. In PHD changed from 3s to 2s and it seems more stable. Added CLS filter to camera and re-focused. Running at -1C, ISO 3200 and 2m exposures. That temperature is being maintained with just 3.5v (12v max) Peltier supply and drawing 1.3A.

Wow your images are coming along leaps and bounds Gina, I look forward to your further progress with M51:)

QM- do you think you'd find guiding less tedious if you were set up in an Obsy?, tempted at all??:D

Very tempted but theres just too many trees in the way. However I will move to my shed this winter and have 10meter cables running to the telescope. Mind you I do like being outside being a fisherman it feels right. Might just use my bivvy again that was pretty cozy :D

Wow your images are coming along leaps and bounds Gina, I look forward to your further progress with M51:)
Thank you :D It was a lovely clear night last night and I was out 'til after 1am. 51 lights and hopefully 55 darks all at -1C at ISO 3200 and 2 mins. Parked the scope, closed the roof then slewed the scope back to where it was hoping to ensure the same cooling, put the cap on and set up APT for 55 darks. Oh, and put a freshly charged battery in the camera.

Very pleased with my obsy I have to say :) I'll be sorting out a more relaxing chair for the warm room though. Have an old sun-lounger with a worn out cushion (actually destroyed by sunlight - "sun" lounger... HUH!!) and have bought a new cushion for it. I like my comfort :D

Just popped out to my obsy and checked the darks that were running after I went to bed. 55 darks completed as set up but the temperature varied from -1C to +1C but mainly at 0C. I guess that's near enough. Now to go through the lights to remove the duff ones where the guiding failed, though there aren't many. I was working a lot better last night.

Archived