SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Digital Photographer Magazine asking for astrophotos

TheMightyKong

By chance I saw in my local WH Smiths that Digital Photographer Magazine had a cover article about shooting the night sky. Inside was a basic guide to shooting at night - the moon, star trails etc along with somebody's pic of M31.

They are asking for readers to send in their astrophotos, either upload them at Digital Photographer - Photo Galleries, Tutorials, Reviews & Advice or post on their forum at Digital Photographer forum • Index page.

Just thought this might be an idea to show of whats really possible with the talents round here to a new audience. If it gets more people interested the hobby then it can only be good.

Anyone thinking of uploading some of their shots please remember that you will loose copy right control over your images as part of your uploading. When you upload to magazine websites you automatically give the right to do whatever the magazine decides to do with the images as part of the upload process, ( in effect making the image their property ) this includes any money that might arise from sales of the image.:)

Anyone thinking of uploading some of their shots please remember that you will loose copy right control over your images as part of your uploading. When you upload to magazine websites you automatically give the right to do whatever the magazine decides to do with the images as part of the upload process, ( in effect making the image their property ) this includes any money that might arise from sales of the image.:rolleyes:

Hey, thanks for the warning Bingo :)

Also some wide field shots using a DSLR with a typical 50mm lens on a low-cost portable guiding system, would be more effective to the readers.

As soon as you send in something taken with a cooled CCD or anything that looks like a telescope, then it won't connect with the audience.

Here's my opinion...

For maximum impact for a general photography audience, I think it would be

- wide field milky-way or Cygnus region , showing HA regions and lots of color

- with trees, bridges or other Earth objects in the foreground, to give it perspective.

What won't work:

- close ups of DSOs that are obviously taken using scopes and cooled CCDs

The audience won't have any idea what it is, and won't see the connection to an earth-bound observer looking up to the sky.

The terrestrial photography world must be 100x larger than the astrophotography world, and I'm sure there's a lot of potential interest out there. If we want to show what can be done by imaging the sky then we need to show how the reader can connect their DSLRs with 20-200mm focal lengths, to the night sky.

Just my ten cents.

Archived