Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51,and automatic updates!

Domis

This was my second attempt at a DSO while guiding. Murphy's law proved to be alive and well with this attempt. First I made the classic mistake of forgetting to remove the Bahtinov mask. There goes 15 subs in the trash bin. I would not have been so disappointed if they were only 30 second subs but at 210 seconds the time adds up quickly. The second silly mistake was not to disable automatic updates on the laptop. Since I was in range of the wireless network the computer decided it was time to update and restart. A pretty good night of seeing and all I could manage to salvage were 3 subs. After throwing a rather childish tantrum,I processed the subs anyway and managed this image.

m51 4 13 12workingrssm.tif

The good thing about those set backs is you wont do it twice, I have left the mask on so many times now I have a check list before I start imaging.

1. polar align

2. focus and lock down tight

3. find and frame target

4. check that camera is in raw format check ISO setting

5. start imaging then check files are going to folder on laptop.

You did well for 3 subs but it will still be there the next clear night so no problems then.

Not bad at all.

There really is no substitute for more subs, so you're next attempt will be a corker.

The focus looks a little soft to me, but that could be my screen.

Remember that when you take more subs, you can still include these three into the mix... the more the merrier!

Ant

Thanks for the kind words,I'm thinking of attaching a small LED light to the mask as a visual cue to remove the darn thing. Time always seems to be at a premium when I'm at the scope so I feel like I have to get the most from every minute. I just can't let these oversights ruin what could be a good run of exposures.

Archived