Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC3628 LRGB

MikeD

Some colour for this image which has from the start been an experiment for me.

The First time in years I have used an LP filter (AsrtonomiK CLS) and RGB sub lengths determined by G2V calibration with CLS filter in the imaging train.R = 3.9 G = 1 and B 1.2

I wasn't sure about the colour weights that the calibration suggested.:)

It seems to have worked, this image was so easy to colour balance.

I put the raws together in maxim as LRGB ( L @90%) Processed the result as the RGB part of the image.

I just had to run "Hastla vista green" and "gradentx" on the image during processing no real colour balance from me with levels and curves at all.:)

I then added my previous luminance processing to the result as the luminance layer of the final image.

Although the result is not the norm colour wise, it came so easy in the processing it just felt right so I have left it as is.:eek:

All shot through my 10" newt and HX916 CCD

L = 39 @ 600 seconds

R = 6 @ 900 seconds

G = 15 @ 300 seconds

B = 8 @ 360 seconds (should have been 15 but clouds stopped play):confused:

I think this needs a good splash of Ha to bring out the ha regions that are just starting to show in the outer reaches of the galaxy but I am very pleased with both the image and results of my experiments.

And at the same time as getting the RGB for this, I grabbed another 24 @ 300 seconds of the trio with my 80Ed and Ants QHY8.:(

Mike.

miked-albums-mikes-images-2-picture16990-ngc3628-2012-lrgb-2.jpg

excellent shot, sharp dusty detail :)

Do you find the LP filter a benefit when imaging galaxies ? I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I'm better with or without it.

Only if you calibrate your sub lengths with g2v calibration, the main reason I have not used an LP filter this long is that I found colour balancing a nightmare with an LP filter but it was a breeze when I got the rgb sub lengths right.

I did hold back on the red sub lengths (I shot 900 seconds when the G2V data said I should shoot 1200 seconds) but next shot I will go for the full 1200 seconds.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Archived