Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any ideas?

martin_h

I didnt quite know where to post this, but here goes...

3 consecutive images taken across midnight on the 10/11 - 04 -12

Image 1(left) 10/04/12 -23:45

Image 2(middle) 11/04/12 - 00:02

Image 3(right) 11/04/12 - 00:17

The image is of M101, these are the original fits images converted to jpeg with no processing done to them.

So...where did the extra star come from, and where did it go?

Any ideas?

star-3.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mmm gonna keep checking back on this one, not an imager so dont know whether this could be an image artifact or not? is that possible?

It could well be an artifact, but it looks like a star, to big for a hot pixel!! Whatever it is, it was only there for a maximum of 15 mins, and ist hasnt moved across the frame and out again...no trailing on it that I can see.

How intriguing, there also appears to be something, bottom, to the left on the central image as well.

Does look like the something happened to the sensor, but as you say its too big to be a hot pixel. Doubt its blooming as you would clearly see this elsewhere....really fascinating, I hope we find out what it was / is.

Here is a 400x screen shot of the blob, the small white dots are hot pixels...it does look like a star..but a 15 min supernova????? LOL

Untitled1-2.jpg

lol, exactly. Im really struggling to see what could cause that on the sensor.

wasnt the star T-Bootes a nova that flared up and has never been seen since?

my text book says that they take several days to flare up to about a factor of 10power3 of its original brightness, and then longer to die down again though

How much light pollution was in the area when this was taken? Is it possible that its a glare from a light that shined into the scope?

Or is it....could it possibly be....Aliens? :)

Probably not. What about a pulsar star? That perfectly head on meteor theory is quite likely. Still, it's spooky!

Try submitting it to Sky At Night, see what they make of it.

How much light pollution was in the area when this was taken? Is it possible that its a glare from a light that shined into the scope?

Or is it....could it possibly be....Aliens? :)

Probably not. What about a pulsar star? That perfectly head on meteor theory is quite likely. Still, it's spooky!

Try submitting it to Sky At Night, see what they make of it.

pulsars are usually found by other means than visible light

Archived