Narrowband

Baader Hyperion Mark III 8 - 24mm 1.25"/2" Zoom Eyepiece

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Celestdon, I've just had my replacement hyp zoom delivered today, owned for 7 months and decided to lock up so sent it back and waited for a replacement, I've also got a cpc 1100 on order, just used mine with my 127 Mak and found it very good and very versatile - should be fine in the SCT - a little tricky tightening the diagonal because when used in 1.25 mode the ep - when placed in the diagonal - sits flush - so a little fiddly tightening up the thumbscrews on the diagonal - not enough clearance between ep and diagonal.

A few have had issues with the zoom - like me 7 months old - not used on a daily basis - only when clear - FOV is a little "tight" in 24mm but apart from that good contrast easy to increase mag without changing ep's - twist up eye cup and if you have a 21mm Hyp as well, with a little screwing and unscrewing you can make a high power zoom with it - not as if your going to need it though with that cpc you have - may not have to wait too much longer for mine hopefully, issues aside, its a nice addition - ideal for star parties and having 4 ep's in 1 - not a replacement for individual ep's but a close second. Paul.

Yes I can second what Northern Soul man has to say about tightening the screws to holkd it into the diagonal - not easy at all. Also the EP looks exceedingly large in the 1.25 diagonal and I was worried about its safety (too expensive for it to fall out through unsure fixing, so I have bought a 2" diagonal to hold it a bit better.

The Hyperion zoom is good fun in the warm weather...but the grease stops it working in the cold...after 6 months & maybe 15 uses...you'll need a replacement

Hmmm I wonder why the grease would cause an issue, I tend to use petroleum jelly myself on moving parts which seems to manage just fine.

I suspect that it wouldnt go down well on en EP tho, especially if any got on the glass at all

got myself a nice little box set of filters too, Antares brand 7 in the box for 70 squid which i thought was reasonable... gonna have to start working more overtime as my list is growing

wedge, DSLR camera, solar filter, new laptop, bino`s...ect ect...

cheers for the input guys, picked it up this afternoon from Rother valley optics...ITS LIKE A GRENADE!..still lookin for the pin :)

ooh look comes with free wall to wall cloud coverage :confused:

So you caused the cloud !

hope you like the baader, love mine

its rapidly becoming the marmite EP !

A LOT of people are complaining about the Baader zoom ceasing. I wonder if someone who's warranty expired and had this issue has looked in to stripping the zoom and re-greasing it ?? We do seem to do a lot of modding why has there not been any mention on this common problem ?

I have owned my for over a year, use it on a regular basis including the cold and have never had a problem. I wonder if it is a particular batch or that they have changed the lubrication? My only complaint if any is that the rubber eyecup could be better secured as it occasional comes off, but apart form this, it is a very good zoom.

Talking of sizes, don't look at this monster Pentax zoom that Rossco (Stuart) bought (image half way down page)- I'm sure it comes with its own cage!:)

Clear skies

James

i had my hand on one of them in the shop, i thought it was TOO big and id be afraid that my star diag wouldnt be able to hold it. could you imagine that falling off, you would be gutted!

:) you want to try using a 31mm Nagler then. I had the thread on a diagonal come undone under the weight of the monster Nag and I went dizzy from the amount of adrenaline that immediately started coursing through my veins. Although there was no damage done it put me off using it and not long after sold it. There are some real heavy eyepieces out there and not all focusers and diagonals are up to the job of holding them.

Yeah, depends on what diagonal you have - I have a 2" WO ready for the cpc 1100 when it arrives - these, and I think the better quality ones have a , I think, brass compression ring, rather than the individual thumb screws and they "hold" the eps better by having more brass in contact with the ep - also a screw thread to attach to the visual back - so a lot better.

Received the new Baader Zoom ep and seems that the rotation to change mag is a lot smoother than my previous 1 - only time will tell.

Paul.

Had mine for over a year, used in very cold weather and not had a single problem with it, still as smooth as a baby's bum! Can be fiddly in a 1.25" eyepiece holder, especially with cold fingers but not too much of a problem and once it's in and tight you can forget about it.

First light last night, even though it was for about 20 minutes due to the clouds i was very impressed. Saturn was very sharp and the Cassini division was very noticeable. looking forward to a full night of clear skies to see how it performs on clusters and galaxies :D

Archived