Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Welcome to the South Wales group!


Recommended Posts

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:40, Rear Window said:

Hi everyone, just joined the forums.  Thought I'd introduce myself; I'm from Neath and new to astronomy.  Getting to grips with a Newtonian for the first time!  Not sure I'd be able to get to Blaenavon very often but would be interested to hear what is going on in the South Wales area.

Hello, and welcome to SGL and the Group !

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone, Im from Caerphilly , and have just found this group.  I am one of those people that has read what I need to do, but have never yet had the chance to use my scope properly, mostly due to w

Hey all, Ever since i was a child, i have had a massive fascination with the moon. That fascination soon grew to the rest of our solar system and beyond! My wife has recently bought me a Celest

Hello, and Welcome ! Hopefully those of us in Astronomical hibernation will reawake soon as the dark nights approach, and the weather starts to cooperate. Look forward to meeting you, and catchin

Posted Images

Hi everyone, Im from Caerphilly , and have just found this group.  I am one of those people that has read what I need to do, but have never yet had the chance to use my scope properly, mostly due to weather and time not being nice to each other!  Would love to meet others in the group whenever there is a meeting.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Morddraig said:

Hi everyone, Im from Caerphilly , and have just found this group.  I am one of those people that has read what I need to do, but have never yet had the chance to use my scope properly, mostly due to weather and time not being nice to each other!  Would love to meet others in the group whenever there is a meeting.  

Waving to you from slightly further up the Rhymney Valley ?

Helen

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Morddraig said:

Hi everyone, Im from Caerphilly , and have just found this group.  I am one of those people that has read what I need to do, but have never yet had the chance to use my scope properly, mostly due to weather and time not being nice to each other!  Would love to meet others in the group whenever there is a meeting.  

Hi I’m  just up the road in ystrad mynach!! If you need any advice or help just pm me ? welcome Regards stuart 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Morddraig said:

Hi everyone, Im from Caerphilly , and have just found this group.  I am one of those people that has read what I need to do, but have never yet had the chance to use my scope properly, mostly due to weather and time not being nice to each other!  Would love to meet others in the group whenever there is a meeting.  

Hello, and Welcome !

Hopefully those of us in Astronomical hibernation will reawake soon as the dark nights approach, and the weather starts to cooperate. Look forward to meeting you, and catching up with some old familiar faces.  :smiley:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/08/2018 at 22:48, Ryan_86 said:

Hi Morddraig,

I live in Caerphilly (Hendredenny). If you want to go through things feel free to let me know.

What setup.do you have?

Ryan

I have a skywatcher quatro8 ota on a eq5 pro. If you wouldn't mind, I would jump at the chance to go through polar alignment etc. I live in Mornington Meadows.  Sorry for the late reply, been away. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2018 at 12:35, L8-Nite said:

Hello, and Welcome !

Hopefully those of us in Astronomical hibernation will reawake soon as the dark nights approach, and the weather starts to cooperate. Look forward to meeting you, and catching up with some old familiar faces.  :smiley:

I'm hoping to meet a few of you too.  Let's hope for clear skies this winter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2018 at 22:58, stuy said:

Hi I’m  just up the road in ystrad mynach!! If you need any advice or help just pm me ? welcome Regards stuart 

Hi. Sorry for the very late reply, it's been a bit of a mad month with all the kids off.   Thanks for the offer of help, I will probably take you up on it at some point.  Just now, I don't know what I don't know! ?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Morddraig said:

I have a skywatcher quatro8 ota on a eq5 pro. If you wouldn't mind, I would jump at the chance to go through polar alignment etc. I live in Mornington Meadows.  Sorry for the late reply, been away. 

 

Hi pal, that is not a problem. I am away until the 7th of September so we can go through your setup ( scope collimation, balancing, polar alignment etc). 

Do you have Facebook, we could arrange something via that if you like?

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/08/2018 at 00:35, Ryan_86 said:

Hi pal, that is not a problem. I am away until the 7th of September so we can go through your setup ( scope collimation, balancing, polar alignment etc). 

Do you have Facebook, we could arrange something via that if you like?

Cheers

I have facebook, so that would be easier I guess.  Would be great to get my kit sorted out ready for the winter.  Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the SWG.

It is still active but has been not been very busy because of the Covid. No meetings etc.

Hopefully some time in the future things will get back to normal and meetings will begin again at Blaenavon.

Not holding out for a early return to normal but fingers cross maybe before next summer.

Welcome again

Pat

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ross,

And Welcome from me too. :hello:

As Pat says, its been slow, and I've been out of the loop for awhile now; but most of us still seem to be active on the general forum.  This plague has changed the whole fabric of life, but fortunately we have a hobby that's the least affected and can always enjoy it at home.  It will be nice to catch up with familiar faces and meet other kindred Observers, and hopefully, that will be sooner than later.  I'm confident that other members in the group will chime in soon.  Hang in there, this group is still alive and kicking. :smiley:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since the C-19 outbreak the SWAG star parties have been uneventful, with members making their own arrangements according to national or local lockdown and travel restrictions.

It is hoped that a spring event can be organized next April around the weekend  25th - 26th April. Attempting a meet in March, I think, is a bit ambitious in the current climate.

A New Moon is on 23rd, with a Lyrids shower on the 22nd. The Star Party will then be officially on the 24th, 25h and 26th April. Dates either side of these can can also be booked.

This is provisional, and will of course be conditional with the C-19 restrictions at the time and Pencelli's decisions. 

I will post more information nearer the event.

Take care, stay safe and hope to see you all at the next SWAG Star Party.

 

Edited by Freff
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
On 29/11/2020 at 16:42, Freff said:

Since the C-19 outbreak the SWAG star parties have been uneventful, with members making their own arrangements according to national or local lockdown and travel restrictions.

It is hoped that a spring event can be organized next April around the weekend  25th - 26th April. Attempting a meet in March, I think, is a bit ambitious in the current climate.

A New Moon is on 23rd, with a Lyrids shower on the 22nd. The Star Party will then be officially on the 24th, 25h and 26th April. Dates either side of these can can also be booked.

This is provisional, and will of course be conditional with the C-19 restrictions at the time and Pencelli's decisions. 

I will post more information nearer the event.

Take care, stay safe and hope to see you all at the next SWAG Star Party.

Hi Tony, please keep me up to speed on this. If it's on, then I'm in!!!!

 

 

Cheers,

           Justyn

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Of course Justyn, but don't hold your breath. 

I'm sure the public are pre booking every pitch before the rush.

The uncertainty at present would not allow me to mass book pitches without full up front booking fees. 

 

Edited by Freff
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.