Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Welcome to the South Wales group!

garethmob

We have now got a carmarthenshire group meeting regularly at Pembrey Mountain Trimsaran,

Great site and the Milky Way was even visible last night

We have a Facebook page anyone looking to join please like my personal page Scott Phillips Astrophography and I will add you to the carmarthenshire group

Hi guys my names darren, from aberdare area, just wanted to say hello and what a great forum this is. I know a little bit about astronomy and would love to come to future meets etc if possible. Just started hunting the messier objects and bagged a few tonight as well as a few meteors.if anyone is up for comet hunting give me a shout, I'm well up for it.currently using big celestron skymasters and love them, getting a small refractor soon.thanks guys

Welcome Darren. We have regular meetings at Blaenavon, and if you watch the section on Meetings you will see there is a meeting planned for tonight. Mike will give the go-ahead later. Just turn up there are no restictions.

here are the cords for the site we use

51.790598, -3.069820

Pat

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, scorpio1948 said:

Thanks for that. I'm disabled so my astronomy is restricted to my back yard.

Cheers

Scorp

I am sure you will but just in case please pass the link on to every one you think may sign. I have been driving my friends nuts I THINK! :evil4:

Derek

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Ever since i was a child, i have had a massive fascination with the moon.
That fascination soon grew to the rest of our solar system and beyond!
My wife has recently bought me a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ3 telescope, and to be honest, it's my first scope!

But after looking for good places here in South Wales to star gaze, i came across this site, and it looks fantastic.
Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.
My name is Karl, im from Pontypridd area and im 34 years old.

I look forward to joining any meet ups whenever i can :)

• Like 3

Hi Karl,

Welcome to SGL, and the South Wales Group !

As Pat says, things will pick up as summer ends and the dark nights approach,

which then makes it worthwhile for many of us to travel and meet at our group

observing site.  Also, we have a Star Party at Pengelli Castle coming up in

September which may interest you; details in another thread.

Cheers !

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony, Pat,

I spoke to Lenny a couple of weeks ago, and asked him if he was planning to attend the Star Party.  Said he had been real busy lately, working long hours along with a lot of traveling, and doubted he could make it to the Star Party as the timing conflicts with his present work commitments. 

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello guys, Jamie here from Swansea. 

Just getting back into things after upgrading my sw-130m to a sw-200p eq5. I passed my 130 onto a good friend who also shares an interest in astronomy so hopefully this will give him a kick start.  

I was just wondering if there are any upcoming events or meets in South Wales? Particularly closer to Swansea?

Hope to hear back soon, Thanks, Jamie.

• 3 months later...

Hi recceranger what a lovely photo, I bet they will have great fun in their new obsy.

You are most welcome to come to our events. The next star party will be in the spring just up the road from you in Pencelli nr Talybont.

We also try and meet for a night when the weather plays fair at Blaenavon.

Check out the Group for future dates and details as they are posted. Plenty of past info here also. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just joined the forums.  Thought I'd introduce myself; I'm from Neath and new to astronomy.  Getting to grips with a Newtonian for the first time!  Not sure I'd be able to get to Blaenavon very often but would be interested to hear what is going on in the South Wales area.