SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Chester newbee

Phil-lost!

Hi all, Im a total novice from chester and really enjoying the hobby so far. Ive seen saturn, mars and venus but am having trouble finding things like clusters and galaxys with a skywatcher 200p on eq5 mount, maybe im expecting too much but any advice would be great. Also does anyone know a good dark site not to far from chester?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your scope is perfectly able to see dozens of dsos so do not fear

download stellarium (program) if you havnt already- its free and you put your location in and it shows the sky real time relative to your time and position

try looking up messier lists and these are the most viewable dsos in the sky, so easy ones are m44, m13, m5

also try double cluster in perseus

rich

Hi and welcome to the forum. The secret to finding objects is knowing where to look and for that, you need a good map. I second Rich's suggestion of Stellarium as it has a lot of great features including a red overlay to help you preserve your night vision.

Clear skies

James

Hi all, Im a total novice from chester and really enjoying the hobby so far. Ive seen saturn, mars and venus but am having trouble finding things like clusters and galaxys with a skywatcher 200p on eq5 mount, maybe im expecting too much but any advice would be great. Also does anyone know a good dark site not to far from chester?

hi and welcome to sgl. i know a few good dark sites just come back from one now;) but as said dont go to rhyl.horshoe pass is good and were heading to snowdonia soon if your up for it give me a shout:headbang:

hi phil and welcome to SGL i can understand your dilema it seems we have a few things in common the light pollution in chester is terrable im in what i would say is moderately dark area being on the outer edge of blacon and facing wales to the southwest also a 200p owner and have only managed a few dso's myself finding the little buggers is proving to be quite a task ive been using the telrad star charts and stellarium id say try the behive cluster m44 and m67 there both quite a good view Beehive Cluster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Messier 67 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Cancer_IAU.svg

as for a darksite about 45 mins drive into wales ruabon way ish drive up the old quarry roads or try the hilltops away from the lp of the towns whitchever you deside good luck and clear skies..

Hi Phil welcome to the forum

Im just up the road from you in Connah's quay so i guess that Makes us neighbours

two local astro societies maybe of help.

Chester have one no idea about them. North Wales astronomy society are very active 100 members they have regular meetings lectures and observing nights

Colwyn bay area. OMaybe a bit far out for you though

Dave

Hello Phil and welcome to SGL.

I'm going to suggest North wales as well. As Faulksys says Horsehoe pass is good and also Snowdonia national park. Anglesey is nice and dark in most places.

hi phil and welcome to SGL i can understand your dilema it seems we have a few things in common the light pollution in chester is terrable im in what i would say is moderately dark area being on the outer edge of blacon and facing wales to the southwest also a 200p owner and have only managed a few dso's myself finding the little buggers is proving to be quite a task ive been using the telrad star charts and stellarium id say try the behive cluster m44 and m67 there both quite a good view Beehive Cluster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Messier 67 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Cancer_IAU.svg

as for a darksite about 45 mins drive into wales ruabon way ish drive up the old quarry roads or try the hilltops away from the lp of the towns whitchever you deside good luck and clear skies..

we should get together

Hi Phil welcome to the forum

Im just up the road from you in Connah's quay so i guess that Makes us neighbours

as said should all get together

two local astro societies maybe of help.

Chester have one no idea about them. North Wales astronomy society are very active 100 members they have regular meetings lectures and observing nights

Colwyn bay area. OMaybe a bit far out for you though

Dave

Hello Phil and welcome to SGL.

I'm going to suggest North wales as well. As Faulksys says Horsehoe pass is good and also Snowdonia national park. Anglesey is nice and dark in most places.

and you spikey we have talked about it before:D

Archived