Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light 12" Lightbridge Dob

Dellis

I've been using goto since I started a couple of years ago but I was getting bored with the faff of setting up and lack of a challenge so a couple of months ago I bought myself a 4" refractor and an EQ5. I enjoyed finding things but missed the light grab of my C11 so a couple of weeks ago and after a lot of hunting I bought a 12" Lightbridge, tonight was the first real opportunity I've had to use it other than a glance at the moon through cloud...

So I took the dob outside at around 9 and let things cool off for half an hour or so then let loose :) I started off with Jupiter then onto Venus before looking for Andromeda which turned out to be a bit tricky as the sky was still reasonably bright meaning I couldn't see as much as I would have liked but I found it. I then turned my attentions to The Little Dumbbell Nebula and the California Nebula neither of which I could find, maybe next time... After that if was off to Auriga and M36, M37 & M38 all of which I found easily. I then turned my attentions to Leo and the Leo triplet of M65, M66 & NGC3628 and onto Mars. Next was M81 and M82 and I finished off with Saturn.

I know they are all pretty easy object to find but tonight I proved to myself that I can mange without goto and finding things is so much more rewarding when you do it for yourself. I've enjoyed myself tonight and I'm really glad I took the plunge and sold the C11, the dob is here to stay.

Dave

I agree 100% with you about go-to. I had a go-to scope (Celestron 8SE) that I used one time and decided to sell it. The go-to just took all the fun out of it for me. I realized that the thrill of the hunt and actually finding my target were essential for my enjoyment. Congrats on the new 12LB.

agree, the thrill of the hunt is half the fun....it was my first night out too with my new dob, found darkish site on top of a hill and waited for the sun to set. Quick scan with the bins and the ISS came into view...good grief it was huge but the odd passing car was upsetting my eyes and the wind was now gusting, tried to set the base up but the groung on the lay-by was too uneven.So packed up and moved to a little country lane 2mins away and set up in a gate-way (should of gone here first!). Cold wind was now strong and biteing and then a horse came upto the gate and made me jump!! swung the scope up and found M51 there was a faint trace of the spiral arms which i was very pleased with under the conditions but struggled with M101 and the cold was wining.Could of been better if it wasn't for that wind...but thats the gamble of being on top of a hill!

congratulations on your first light with the 12" manual. i must say go to must have its fans and helpful to some, but id never consider go to for my observing either.

nice report.

estwing the horse just wanted a peep at m51 with you pal .:)

sorry the night didn't work out as you wanted, but hey its a learning curve right.

i thought golf was fustrating..months saving/search,find a decent bucket..wait for a clear night..find darkish skies...biting wind and cold put pay to a planned viewing....but i did see the spirals in bad conditions..plus set a 12.5" dob up on my own!roll on the calm!!!..GO MANUAL!

This is the kind of thread I wanted to see as I've just been given permission to upgrade to a 12" at the end of the month. :)

Gonna cost a small fortune in buying her new shoes but she's worth it. :confused:

Glad you had a good first light Dellis, lots more of that to come I'm sure and keep us updated with the reports.

Another big plus for manual dobs is the peace and quiet, no buzzing motors as it slews across finding a target!

don't know about peaceful my dob creaks like mad...but don't oil it!! Mike get a second hand one you'll save £££££ plus there's a lot of old backs out there!:) mine's a solid tube and it's not that heavy...plus it's quicker to set up....had some good fishing days down your neck of the woods

Hey Steve

To be honest until last night I'd totally convinced myself that the 14" was the way to go but thinking with my sensible head on its just not practical right now (will build myself a big one when we move to the sticks but I haven't told her about that yet!:))

Estwing

Yeah thought about second hand but not a lot comes up for sale down here ( I also get lost north of Exeter:icon_scratch::confused:)

How much fish did you take when you were here because theres sod all down here now! :(

Archived