Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

(PST) Odd prominence, away from the normal H-Alpha sweet spot?

cathalferris

I'm just in from taking a quick look at the sun with the PST, and I've spotted something quite unusual.

While I was scanning through the sweet spot, I could see a faint prominence about 1/5 of a solar disk radius off the sun's edge, but only when I was significantly off the H-Alpha band, indicating a significant line of sight velocity. I'm sure that it was no cloud, as it appeared and disappeared with the same amount of revolution as the normal prominences. It's still within the occlusion disk for the Lasco C2 so I couldn't verify it there.

If the normal range that the H-Alpha features appear at is a one-eighth-turn of the tuning ring, this feature was another one eighth away. It's pretty cool to see such doppler effect stuff for matter near to us.

(I've checked the Halpha images from GONG, and it's the remnants of a prominence liftoff from about 40 minutes ago.)

:) Sorry - I didn't link as I had forgotten that not everyone knows where to go to find them..

Quick links: http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/LATEST/current_c2small.gif check the puff off the bottom right at ~19.00 on April 14th there.

From GONG:

H Alpha Movies select frames 240 to 280 and see the lower right again.

When I was looking at it, that streamer was a lot farther out, maybe 3-4 times the distance from the edge of the sun to the curved edge of the picture.

Archived