SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saving for the Web.

ollypenrice

I spent yesterday, which was wet, trying to get my images to look better on Smugmug, my gallery site. When loaded they always get black clipped, something which draws opprobium on the French site!

My new workflow is; In Adobe RGB get the image looking its best as a TIFF in Ps. Save. Covert to 8 bit, reset the colour in Ps to sRGB and see what happens. Usually the black point rises considerably, which is good because Smugmug will clip it back. Increase saturation and usually lift the red a little till it looks as close as possible to the TIFF in AdobeRGB but with the high black point, which sometimes needs an extra lift in anticipation. When on the Web the black point is still hit and miss but better than it was.

While at it I did a reprocess of my 2 panel LRGB M33 from the TEC last year, an image that was never right in the firsst version. And I put my top 20 together in one place.

Olly's Favourites. - ollypenrice's Photos

After all that it is still raining. Pooh.

Could some kind soul tell me how to make it possible to click on the image as below below to link it to a larger version?

Olly

M33-TEC-proc2012-M.jpg

Not only is it raining, but I've got a cold :D

I find that uploading to SGL gives my images an extra stretch, which can bring up gradients that I thought were dealt with successfully in Photoshop. I work on the tiff until I'm happy with it and save, then resize and 'save for web and devices' with the file size optimised to 200kb.

I don't change colourspaces though. I have looked at that but couldn't really see any difference. I guess I just don't know what I am looking at/for?

It makes a big difference for me, Rik, on the colour. Reds drop a good bit and the saturation dimishes. The colour is far better in AdobRGB with a wider gamut of colours.

Still, I think I'm getting the hang of it. Because I want large images on Smugmug I get the message that they are too big for 'Save for web and devices' in Ps.

Olly

I've started to upload to astrobin, it's a dedicated site for astro pictures, it doesn't have a gallery tool yet, but it's really designed for astro images ...

It does plate solving and all meta data are entered once and then when you upload can select along the meta data as you go.

It also creates a histogram ...

If it adds gallery option then it will be the place to post your pictures.

Yves.

I've started to upload to astrobin, it's a dedicated site for astro pictures, it doesn't have a gallery tool yet, but it's really designed for astro images ...

Hi,

what kind of gallery do you want? AstroBin does have users galleries: just click on your username near the top-right of the site, and from the menu, select "My page".

That is your gallery, sorted by year. You can change the sorting mode (by subject type, by gear, by upload time, by acquisition time).

I guess this is you: AstroBin - Yves's gallery

:)

I would agree Yves. Astrobin also doesn't seem to do anything with the image on upload unlike some sites.

Hi Ian,

if you're talking about compression, yes, you are correct: images on AstroBin are not compressed at all! :)

Yes that's me,

so that is not really a Gallery feature like on smugsmug ... where you can really create different galleries by type. If I understand correctly it's just 1 gallery that you can sort in different ways ...

By the way Astrobin is great, don't get me wrong!

Yves.

Archived