Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New group member

Albenn

Just like to say hello to all at Cumbrian Skies. I'm still learning how to use these forums and it took me a while to find the group and join but I'm here now.

I am about to have my first scope (SW Heritage 130p) delivered on Monday from FLO and must admit that I'm getting rather excited about it. I really thought that at 52 I was past all that :D but I suppose us blokes never grow up!

So just a warning to all that the weather will probably be even more awful than it is now because I have a new scope!

Have spent a couple of months using binoculars, which has been great, but I now want to see a little more detail. Plus preserve my neck joints!

Anyway, will post my first light findings as soon as I can and probably a million and one questions as a result.

Hiya Alan, welcome to the group.

52 is no age, I'm a year behind you, and only rekindled the light for all things astronomy at the start of last year, but just look at the toys that are abound, keep in touch and ,enjoy ;.)

Hiya Alan, welcome to the group.

52 is no age, I'm a year behind you, and only rekindled the light for all things astronomy at the start of last year, but just look at the toys that are abound, keep in touch and ,enjoy ;.)

Problem is Cozzy that there is sometimes too much choice :) which could put off a newcomer. It would be so much easier to make decisions if noobies were restricted to certain equipment by law as in the case of which size motorbike you are allowed to ride as a learner!

Having said that though, because of the large number of available options and the resulting research required, I have picked up so much knowledge re the equipment, how it works, f ratios, focal lengths and how magnification and other parameters are calculated, that I think that the headaches and frustration in the scope selection process were actually worth it:)

With that process, selecting my scope was easy confirming the statement that 'your first scope will pick itself'

• 3 weeks later...
have you had a look at the eddington astro soc in kendal? top group and chaired by the exitable stu atkinson (ask him anything about mars)

Yes - I went to their last meeting which was quite fortunate really as they had an equipment night where the members gave a brief description of their stuff and explained why they had chosen it. Even more convenient for me is that it is held in the Kendal Museum which is about a 5 minute walk away :hello2:

I think I learned more in 1 hour chatting to the members there about equipment than I had in 2 months Googling and reading books. In fact, the advice I got there went a long way in my decision to buy the Heritage 130p mini dob over a more complicated and more costly GOTO.

Stuart is indeed very enthusiastic and it shows, especially when he got round to talking about Mars.

I plan to be going to the next meet and actually enroling as a member.

Hiya Albenn,

glad you settled on a scope, hope all is going well!?

a little bit further afield from Kendal there is also the Lnacaster and Morecombe astro group, they have guest speakers etc, check out thier web site for dates and a small photo gallery.

Tim

Hiya Albenn,

glad you settled on a scope, hope all is going well!?

a little bit further afield from Kendal there is also the Lnacaster and Morecombe astro group, they have guest speakers etc, check out thier web site for dates and a small photo gallery.

Tim

Cozzy, scope is great! I had a couple of issues re collimation (there's a surprise!) but have had great help from SGL and all is now well.

Was out last night getting my first view of Saturn, I won't forget that in a hurry. I posted the report in the observation section.

Tonight we are back to the usual blanket cloud cover! Very frustrating...

• 2 months later...

Archived