Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is there a star collapsing & about to go nova?

"This guy" is just a person I met with a nice wide aperture telescope. I chanced upon while I was out stargazing myself. Other 'facts' he's told me seems off, but at least I get to peer through his scope.

Thanks for the information! If Sirius went nova, is 8.6 light years a safe enough distance?

afaik we only have to worry about none local supernovas if they a facing us directly from a pole as a gamma ray burst is not a good thing...

Ask Dr Banner :D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"This guy" is just a person I met with a nice wide aperture telescope. I chanced upon while I was out stargazing myself. Other 'facts' he's told me seems off, but at least I get to peer through his scope.

Thanks for the information! If Sirius went nova, is 8.6 light years a safe enough distance?

The star that formed the Crab nebula went nova in 1054, and it is about 7 LY distant.

Alot depends on the type of supernova that happens, and the orientation of the star. For example, a gamma ray burst would be emitted along the axis of the star....if that is pointing at you from a reasonably close distance, then goodnight sweetheart. There are no stars within 50LY of us big enough to go in a Type II supernova.

I thought all grb bursts were blocked by the atomosphere anyway, thats why they are only detectable by satellites. Nowt to worry about, if one does go off it will just be a pretty firework show

More than a pretty firework show. If Sirius B did go supernova it would seriously damage our ozone layer and that would be disastrous for all life. It won't though because it's the wrong type of star system :D

One of the causes of a GRB is thought to be a hypernova and a candidate for that would be the star I mentioned earlier, Eta Carinae. That's at a distance of around 7500 light years and if that went with a pole pointing at us we'd be in very serious trouble indeed. Fortunately, its poles point away from us so if it does go, it would just be a light show.

I guess if anything "local" goes supernova and starts shining as bright as the moon in the night skies, a few clouds will be the last thing we'd be worrying about. Forget DSO's for the foreseeable future!

The star that formed the Crab nebula went nova in 1054, and it is about 7 LY distant.

Alot depends on the type of supernova that happens, and the orientation of the star. For example, a gamma ray burst would be emitted along the axis of the star....if that is pointing at you from a reasonably close distance, then goodnight sweetheart. There are no stars within 50LY of us big enough to go in a Type II supernova.

Er, the Crab's about 6500 light years distant. If it had been 7 light years then it would have been serious trouble for life on the Earth.

I cant wait for midnight 21st december so i can gloat (again) at those crazy fools.

I don't think they are crazy but just misinformed .

From what I understand is that it will not be the end of the world as such but it will be the end of how the current world is !, maybe economic collapse for every country or maybe some tectonic plates will drastically move etc.

When you look at many of these so called people who predict the end of the world they also predict things beyond those dates too.

In today's day and age all it takes is one extreme government to release nukes onto the world which would cause a major impact on the way we live.

I say let's live life to the fullest and enjoy it as we only get one lifetime unless you count reincarnation :D

Anyways I think if a star does go nova , it will look amazing if we can see it .

Er, the Crab's about 6500 light years distant. If it had been 7 light years then it would have been serious trouble for life on the Earth.

Yep, you're right:icon_salut:

I meant to type 7KLY.....I blame my dyslexic fingers for the error:o

I thought all grb bursts were blocked by the atomosphere anyway, thats why they are only detectable by satellites. Nowt to worry about, if one does go off it will just be a pretty firework show

Isn't there evidence that the Ordovician-Silurian extinction event was caused by a GRB. If it can cause the second biggest extinction event in Earth's history then it won't be very pretty.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Ray burst is extinction suspect

Isn't there evidence that the Ordovician-Silurian extinction event was caused by a GRB. If it can cause the second biggest extinction event in Earth's history then it won't be very pretty.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Ray burst is extinction suspect

It's been posited but there's no real evidence. Tectonically driven large scale volcanism (flood basalts/large igneous provinces) is a more likely candidate and has been implicated in four of the five major extinction events in the planet's history (including the Ordovician-Silurian).

I don't think they are crazy but just misinformed .

From what I understand is that it will not be the end of the world as such but it will be the end of how the current world is !, maybe economic collapse for every country or maybe some tectonic plates will drastically move etc.

When you look at many of these so called people who predict the end of the world they also predict things beyond those dates too.

In today's day and age all it takes is one extreme government to release nukes onto the world which would cause a major impact on the way we live.

I say let's live life to the fullest and enjoy it as we only get one lifetime unless you count reincarnation :D

Anyways I think if a star does go nova , it will look amazing if we can see it .

If anyone was intelligent enough to work out that our planet (or life as we know it) would cease in 2012, however many yrs ago?, then why aren't these people running the show?

sorry, but the people who believe this ARE nutters and i'll be glad to admit i'm wrong on the 1st jan 2013.

I'm more than confident to say that the end of 2012 will be the end of something (probably the year 2012). does that make me a profit or should i invent a calender?

Sorry if this is offensive to anyone but i find the whole Mayan bit pretty offensive myself. just love it when my kids come home from school all worked up coz some fool of a teacher thinks its "cool" to scare the begeezus out of the kids with this malarcky.

aagghh!! I've had my vent

If Betelguese did go pop tomorrow, it would obviously be very bright. Other than this increased brightness, I'm interested to know how it would appear to an observer?

Would it appear larger or smaller? Like a small scale sun, bright enough to cast shadows at night, or just an extra bright Sirius?

I presume the remnent of the explosion wouldn't be seen until the explosion brightness faded. For a star like Betelguese, what would the duration of the initial brightness, weeks or months?

For a star as close as Betelguese, would we be able to observe apparent expansion in the remnent over a period of a few months to years, or are the distances still so large that changes would be over hundreds or thousands of years?

It would be a very very bright point source - the distances involved are too great to see anything more. The expansion of the remnant would be observable though - once we see the supernova event then it's all real time for us although we'll be watching events that happened 640 years ago :D

The Mayans haven't got a very good track record where predictions are concerned, they didn't even predict their own extinction or even see it coming, or they would still be here walking the streets with sandwich boards peddling doom and gloom.

Gamma rays pass through everything, there would be no where to hide if we were pointed at, and they are deadly that's why we use them to irradiate food.

I'm surrounded by Tottenham fans at work which makes it even sweeter :-) St. Totteringham's day soon I hope :-)

Tell 'em on Monday that we look forward to stuffing 'em in the final (if they get past Chelski, that is...)

That made me laugh, but I had to explain it to the Missus!!

And that made me laugh :)

I did think of telling it to my missus when she asked what I was typing but decided to say "nowt". Its just easier lol

The only time Stephen hawking got something wrong was when he got a fly in his eye and somebody quoted him on the result.

Haha thats evil :)

Actually he did get it wrong with his theory that information is destroyed in black holes. And had to admit defeat in the ensuing argument.

Zakalwe your avitar is really disturbing :confused:

Archived