Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Soul Nebula; with Ha added

Shibby

I managed to push my sub length up to 10 mins the other night, thus doubling my personal best! :D This means I was able to put my new Ha filter to good use and I grabbed 8 subs before the Soul Nebula dropped below my fence.

So, the colour data was taken with my DSLR last year in 2min unguided subs. I've now combined this with the Ha, also taken with my DSLR, plus 7nm filter. Of course, more data would have been nice but the target is very low this time of year (and my fence too high!)

I'm finding this a good combination, because the fainter Ha stuff is normally wiped out by local light pollution. I vow to return for more Ha in the summer.

- 82x120s Colour (mix of ISO800 & 1600), unguided

- 8x600s Ha (ISO800), guided with SPC900+finderguider

- Canon 450d

- Skywatcher 150PDS

- Vixen GP

Here's the combined image:

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture16913-soul3-proc3c-again.jpg

The Ha on its own:

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture16908-soul-nebula-dslr-ha.jpg

The original Colour from last year:

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture14651-soul-nebula-2.jpg

This is loads better than last years version, the Ha as added a lot more presence to the whole thing. The soul is something I would love to have a proper go at one day, but its such a massive nebula it would be a 6 pane mosaic for me :D

Anyways, its another victory for the 150P! Ive got mine set up ready for some galaxy work tonight.

PS: Have you thought about getting an OIII filter and going completely NB?

Thank you guys :D

This is loads better than last years version, the Ha as added a lot more presence to the whole thing. The soul is something I would love to have a proper go at one day, but its such a massive nebula it would be a 6 pane mosaic for me :)

Anyways, its another victory for the 150P! Ive got mine set up ready for some galaxy work tonight.

PS: Have you thought about getting an OIII filter and going completely NB?

Yeah it's certainly large - around 3 full moons in width I think. It took me quite some time to get the whole thing framed, especially with the ha filter attached! Don't tempt me with the OIII filter... couldn't really afford to buy the Ha since I'm getting married in December! If only John Lewis sold them, I'd sneak it on the wedding list :(

I was reserving commenting until I had seen the pic on a PC ... The smartphone rendition just doesn't do it justice...

Very Nicely done with plenty of star color and a definite lift from the Ha data...

I am still waiting to do the HnS pair with the 200/2.8L... they are a very nice fit in the FOV...

Peter...

Archived